The Parents

"When will you be back?" You asked Rosinante nervously, practically chewing on your bottom lip as you hoped, for your own and his sake, that he'd arrive in no more than fifteen minutes.

He took a pause from the other side of the phone before answering.

"I don't really know." He sighed tiredly. "When are your parents arriving?"

You glanced at your side, spotting your father and mother seated elegantly, in contrast to your not so elegant apartment, on top of your couch.

"They are already here." You replied, a wave of nerves invading your tummy.

A week ago you had talked with Rosinante about meeting each other's parents. He immediately became excited with the idea and asked if it was possible to organize a lunch with yours, completely ignoring the fact that you had also wanted to meet his dad. It was fine, though. The way his eyes lit up in joy the moment you presented the idea to him was enough to send your heart to the moon and you succumbed quickly to his wishes.

So, you later invited your parents to come have lunch with you so that you could officially introduce them to your boyfriend and your boyfriend to them, but, as was now normal from Rosinante, he just had to be running late because his work was holding him up.

"Shit." He grunted. "I- Crim, I'll try to be quick, yeah?"

"You better." You chuckled awkwardly, your eyes drifting away from your snooty parents and over to Law.

The dog stared at your parents with apprehension, the humans having gotten already on his bad side as they had stolen his spot on the couch. He huffed, staring up at you in disbelief.

Nobody had ever taken his place before. He was a spoiled little one.

"I'm sorry." He said. "I have to finish work. See ya later. Love you!" He finished, hanging up before you could reply.

Your grip on the phone tightened as you realized you now had to entertain your parents for who knew how much more time before they'd get to eat and meet your boyfriend. This sucked.

Now it's not like you hated them or anything. Yes, they had become a little more snobby and posh as their older age got into their heads, but they were still your loving parents. The problem was when you had to hold a sustained conversation with them. They'd always get too judgy or political over any aspect of your life and, judging the situation you found yourself in, you were sure they were going to take some shots at your boyfriend's absence.

"Bye." You grumbled, slightly offended at the fact that your boyfriend didn't wait for you to answer before hanging up.

"Any news from your... partner?" Asked your mother.

"He's my boyfriend, mom." You sighed, sitting down on a chair across your parents.

"So?"

"He's still at work." You said, your stomach swirling inside your body in nervousness.

Here she comes.

"Still at work, huh?" She laughed acidly. "I suppose meeting the possible parents in laws can wait." She said with no attempt to hide her offense at the seemingly lack of interest for her and her husband.

"Mom, he's working very hard to get out, I promise he'll be here as soon as-"

"I knew I shouldn't have let you date a cop." Grumbled your father.

"Let me?" You asked in disbelief.

"Yes, (Y/N). We let you leave for University and ever since then we've lost you. You've changed so much that you've dropped yourself down to the level of dating a cop." He spat the last words in disgust.