Sengoku Calls

As Sengoku noticed your silence on the other side of the call, he continued speaking, trying to explain why he was calling you even after Rosinante had cut ties with you.

"You're a great person and I shouldn't be asking this of you. Actually, I'm not!" He corrected himself. "If you don't want to do it I promise it'll be just as fine. I-I just got worried- oh I really shouldn't have called. I told myself again and again that I shouldn't call you, but here I am." He laughed nervously.

"Is everything alright?" You asked softly, the nerves and uncertainness eating you up.

"Not really, (Y/N)." He sighed. "I heard about how horrible Rosinante was to you, and I understand if you don't want anything to do with him. I really do."

You stayed quiet.

Just get to the point you old geezer!

"B-but I shouldn't really talk about that. I shouldn't really get involved at all."

He felt like he was messing up. In the first place, he couldn't really understand why he had decided to call you so instinctively, as if something like a puppeteer was impulsing him to do stuff he felt uncomfortable with. He knew he shouldn't have called you, much less talk about your relationship with Rosinante, yet he couldn't shake the feeling off that this was something he had to do.

"Rosinante was injured." He finally said. "Really bad. He's going to be ok, though. It's just that he disobeyed my direct orders-" His voice became louder as his anger began to show up."-like a dumb and childish idiot! Oh- I'm sorry, I'm getting off track here."

A small smile was etched onto your otherwise worried features. This man was too pure.

Injured though?

"I don't want to worry you, he really is going to be alright, but, the thing is, that..." He began to feel nervous. Oh gosh I'm really going to say it, he thought incredulously. "He kept calling for you. A lot. And, again, I know his behavior with you was completely out of line, I made sure to scold him for that one, but I'm worried. He really wants to see you. He has been asking for you this whole time and he's just completely desperate."

...what?

"They've had to sedate him a couple of times. He's already home in his apartment, and he's been doing much better, I just-" He cut himself again.

"Sengoku." You finally spoke up. "I'm sure you're mistaken." You said, a small ache in your chest. "He made sure to let me know he doesn't want anything else to do with me and I think-"

"But it's not true." He interrupted you. "Please, (Y/N)." He pleaded.

You took in a deep breath and stared at the ceiling.

"What do you mean he was asking for me?" Your voice came out thin, apparently hopeful. It made Sengoku feel better.

"When he woke up in the hospital he called for you. Your name. He just repeated that he wanted to see you. He was probably scared when he woke up alone and completely immobile at the hospital so he tried to reach whomever gave him comfort. That was you. Now yes, he was sedated and probably didn't even remember that he had broken up with you, but he spoke with true feelings." He said softly.

"I don't..." You didn't know what to say.

You knew you shouldn't go. It wasn't the healthy thing to do, but that didn't take away the fact that you still loved him. The fact that the first person he had called for was you, and the fact that he was all alone in his home.

"I know I'm asking a lot. Too much. But... I really like you (Y/N), and I know my son. I know he's still in love with you." He paused.

Those words echoed in your mind. Was there hope once again?