What Happened

His voice stabbed your heart as if it was a dagger. Your knees instantly went weak by the sound of his deep and raspy voice.

No. It turns out I couldn't do this.

You kept the tears at bay as you stared at the man who had broken your heart. He was standing weakly, his chest not wearing any clothes yet completely covered by dirty and reddened bandages.

"Donquixote!" Hina screeched in surprise. "What the hell are you doing up?!" She scolded him.

He wasn't supposed to be physically able to get up, yet here he was.

You didn't say a thing, too busy trying not to cry like a baby at the sight. He was there. He was standing right in front of you and staring at you without any shame.

Neither of you said a word.

"So you're (Y/N)." Hina smiled happily, extending a hand out for you to shake. The woman completely ignoring how tense the air was. "Rosinante's told me all 'bout you." She said, eyes analyzing you with pride.

You shook her hand and smiled softly, feeling extremely nervous under the gaze of the two police officers.

"She came!" She giggled excitedly as she elbowed Rosinante's side, the poor blonde folding over in pain as his friend hit right into his wounds. "Woops." She chuckled, not really caring about making the man hurt.

Sisterhood before anything. She knew how much of a jerk Rosinante had been, so maybe he deserved that hit a little.

"I- (Y/N)." He said again, the man too busy trying to understand what you were doing here.

"And you were moping around because you had ruined your chances." She laughed loudly, still staring at you while talking to the blonde. "She even brought you soup!"

Rosinante's eyes drifted away from yours and stared at the portion of soup, his gaze lighting up with the idea that you had even brought him one of your delicious home cooked meals.

"You're very beautiful~" Hina flirted, her pose becoming much more relaxed. "You know, if things don't workout with this one..." She began, staring at you in a way that a lion stares at its prey. "You can always-"

"HINA." Grumbled Rosinante as he hit her shin. "Would you please go back to your patrol?" He asked between gritted teeth as he tried to control himself from slashing the woman's head off.

You, on the other hand, stood as rigid as a rock as you saw the scene develop in front of you, your whole face having been turned into a beetroot red color.

In the blink of an eye, and with quite a shameless laugh, Hina was out of the picture, descending down the elevator as you stayed in your place, not knowing what to do or say. Rosinante stared at you incredulously, his heart begging for him to just grab and kiss you for once and for all, but he held back. He needed to wait for you.

"What are you doing here?" He asked softly, his body leaning on the door frame as he stared at you hopefully.

"S-Sengoku called..." You murmured, your voice soft and shy as you looked away from your ex. He looked like a greek god. "He told me you were injured and he was worried and then I got worried, but-"

"(Y/N)-" He tried to speak, but stopped himself as he saw you shaking your head.

"I'm sorry." You sobbed. "I really thought I could do this, but I can't." You cried, staring at him with you tear-filled eyes.

"(Y/N)..." He whispered with guilt and worry. He wanted you to come closer. He wanted to hug you and comfort you. He had made you suffer so much it made his heart shatter every time he looked at your broken self.