~Chapter 180~

Joanna's POV
The next day, we all ate breakfast around 10:00 am. We sat there having a conversation while eating.

"How's your leg?", I asked Emma.

"It hurts, but I guess it's fine", she answered.

"I warned you", I giggled.

"Have you thought about my offer?", she asked.

I looked at Alex.

"We have, we choose to agree to you offer and join the group", I told her.

"Really?", she asked.

"Yes, really", I answered.

"Thank you so much, you just saved my life.. and Kristina and Dory's", Emma explained.

Emma took Alex and I to the headquarters of the group. We ended up alone in a room with the leader. He wore a suit.

"Alex and Joanna Murphy.. I knew you would come", the man said.

"We have used a long time looking for you", he explained.

"You have?", Alex asked.

"Yes, you made it into the NYPD, didn't you?", the leader of the group asked.

"Yes, sir", Alex said.

"Let me introduce myself. I am Daniel Adams, I'm 39 years old and the leader of this group. When I was a kid, my family didn't have a lot of money, and then one day a man offered me money to help him commit a crime. Murder. I was about 17 years old at that time. Let's just say that wasn't the last time I murdered someone either. I of course did that for my family, but then I knew it was something for me. An easy way to earn money. I started my own group of criminals when I was about.. 33 years old and here I am", the man explained.

"And you still haven't gotten caught?", I asked.

"No", he said.

"What do you need us for, sir?", I asked.

"I need good criminals in this group. Experienced! And I know you have that experience, or am I wrong?", Mr Adams asked.

"Well, we have committed a lot of crimes, yeah", I explained.

"You kidnapped someone?", he asked.

"Oh a lot", Alex laughed.

"You murdered people?", Daniel asked.

"Even more", Alex looked at me.

"Have you ever tortured someone to get you the information you want? Or because of revenge?", Daniel asked.

"You kind of exposed me there", I said nervous.

"Good! You both are hired, here's my number", he handed me a note.

"Wait, where's Emma?", I asked.

"Oh, the girl who brought you here? She's just taking care of some things", Mr Daniel Adams told answered.

"What kind of things?", I asked.

"None of your business, for now I think you should go. And it would be nice if you came here after work at the police station tomorrow. Be sure to let me know if the police are plotting something", he said.

Daniel Adams gave us a key card and some cash.

"What's the money for?" Alex asked.

"A thanks for joining the group", Daniel answered.

"But haven'f done anything yet", I said.

"Just take it. It's you. I've been searching for so long. Take it and go", he said.

We took the money, and then we went out to the car. We were driving home, and then we met Dory and Kristina on our way. We pulled over.

"What are you doing here?", I asked.

"We're just out, hope it's okay", Kristina said.

"Yeah, actually I need to go to target, can you drop by?", I asked Alex.

"Sure", he said.

We went to target, Alex, Dory and Kristina waited in the car. When I came back outside, I saw a little girl crying. I didn't know what to do. Kristina looked at me, and then she looked at the child. She clearly hinted that this was my chance to do anything good. I took the hint, and I walked over to the girl.

"Hi, sweetie.. why are you crying?", I asked.

"I can't find mommy", she told me.

"Oh no, when was the last time you saw her?", I asked her.

"Yesterday", she told me.

"Yesterday? Tell me, honey, what is your name?", I asked.

"Violet. Violet Smith", the little girl told me her name was.

"What about your mom?", I asked.

"Zoe", she answered.

"What about your dad? What's his name?", I asked her.

"Oh my dad disappeared a long time. Alaric", she explained.

"What? Your dad's name is Alaric Smith?", I asked.

"Yes, ma'am", she answered.

I struggled to find something to say. It could be a lot of Alaric Smiths so I guess it weren't the guy I killed. She cried and was very scared.

"Sweetie, I'll help you", I reached out my hand for her to grab.

She grabbed my hand and I took her into the car. When we came home, we all ate dinner. I promised Violet that I was gonna let her stay here until we found her mom or someone else to take care of her. She was 7 years old, and shouldn't go through this. She was a very shy kid, with good manners. She didn't cry that much after we came home, but when she was going to bed, it changed.

I tuck her in at 8:00 pm. She didn't want to go to bed, she missed her mom so much.

"Honey, I know this is hard for you. But I promise we will find your mom. And until that time, I will be here for you all the time, okay?", I wiped her tears and stroke her hair.

She nodded.

I hugged her.

"If you're scared or sad, then feel free to wake up Alex and I", I kissed her forehead, turned off the lights and walked out of the room.

I met Kristina in the hallway. She hugged me.

"You did something really good for someone today", she told me.

It was a nice end of the day to hear that I had done something good for someone who needed it.

Author's note
Thank you so much for reading this chapter, I hope you enjoyed!

-Kristina Leonora