Crawfish Pt 2/Song of the Shrimp - Elvis

A/N: I think that title it hilarious. Very King Creole inspired - love that movie. Can totally be read on its own

The morning was still very new and New Orleans hadn't quite gotten to the craziness that it would reach. Your younger brother, Adam, had spent the night at his friends house and their mother would drive the pair of them to school for you. It left your morning a little more free, and given that Mrs. Baker was out of the town for the week you didn't have any cleaning to do. For the first time in a long time, you had a day that could be spent entirely to yourself.

How would you spend it? It seemed as though a million things needed to be done, but all you wanted was to walk and think about something other than your responsibilities. You went and got dressed in a simple but flattering red dress and a white cardigan. It was still a little chilly but you knew it would get blazing when the day carried on. You took your purse from the counter and left the apartment, locking it behind you.

The side of New Orleans you lived in had a tendency to smell like fish most of the time. Your small apartment was very near the water and the sound of boats honking was a regular occurrence. While you wouldn't say you were the biggest seafood fan, you didn't mind the smell too much. Your father used to say that at least it was a natural smell and not fumes from some factory. Nasty fish was a much better smell, you decided, than pollution.

You walked along the streets as people started filing out from their apartments on the way to their work. Men in suits of all kinds, whether it be fisherman or businessmen, strode confidently. Women dressed to the nines toted their children off to school or prepared to shop for the day's dinner. Some, of course, were going to work but those women seemed to hide behind the façade of the rich. Their scarred hands and weather skin made them undesirable to society. You made an effort to smile at each woman you could, regardless of station.

"Oh!" You said softly when you collided into a man. You had been so focused on smiling and giving attention to an older woman, you didn't see the man barreling from out of an alley.

His hands came to hold your shoulders but he was staring down at the alley. His lips came in a snarl, and another young man came racing down and stopped when he spotted him holding you. The other man's gaze travelled up and down your form, then he whistled with a wink.

"Back off, Shark." The man holding you spat, and you realized the voice was familiar.

"Hey now Pretty Boy, ain't tryin to hide the lady are ya?" Shark said with a grin that eerily resembled his namesake.

"Take a hike."

Shark rolled his eyes and walked away. With him gone, you could finally turn your attention to the man holding you. It took you a second to stare at his dark hair gelled back and his flush lips, but you'd recognize that face anywhere. You'd recognize that voice.

"Elvis!"

He turned to look at you, really look at you, and the same look of recognition went through his eyes. Elvis smiled and parted from you, finally dropping his hands you hadn't realized were still holding your shoulders.

"Y/N!"

There was an awkward moment where the two of you just stared at one another, taking in the scene and not really knowing what to say. He looked handsome today, but he looked handsome every day. Elvis was dressed in a plaid shirt tucked into black pants with a black coat. It was simple and handsome. His hair was falling onto his forehead. You quickly realized that Elvis didn't seem to have anything to say, so you pressed forward.

"Is everything... alright?"

He scratched the back of his head for a moment before glancing back at the now empty alley and at you, "oh that? Oh yes everything's quite alright."