Any Day Now - Austin Butler

A/N : request by @extrainsanity

You didn't believe in fate. It's not that it wasn't possible or that you thought poorly of those who did, but it was never a concept you thought held much merit. Life didn't work about perfectly. It wasn't a book or movie where someone could edit each little moment to add up to some perfect crescendo.

And yet, your theory loved to be tested. It's as though whatever divine power that laid above tried to show you why you were wrong. When you first decided that you wanted to become an actress, the mailing company you were working for just got a client with a television company and you had been assigned. No it didn't mean you were suddenly an actress, but the proximity to your dream was remarkable. It meant you could be near it, get a little taste for what it might be like should you ever succeed.

Tonight however had not been the best night. It was late, well past 11pm, and you still hadn't gotten all of the packages from the truck into Studio 6. One of the clients from earlier had thrown a huge fuss about the lack of one package of staplers, which set back your entire schedule. Thankfully, this studio was more flexible and allowed you to deliver all the various items later.

You didn't know what movie they were filming, a variety of different set pieces filmed the massive and otherwise empty studio. You found a corner that was relatively out of the way and started to pile the boxes, diving them by the items since they ordered large quantities.

Since it was late and you were alone, you put your playlist on shuffle. You sang along to The Beatles, to ABBA, some Panic! At the Disco and of course some Elvis Presley. The older style of music, aside a few select artists, tended to appeal to you more.

You set your phone down to play music as you moved and one of your favorite Christina Aguilera song came on. 'Tough Lover.' It was a banger if you do say so yourself, and you didn't hesitate to mumble the intro to yourself.

But you were alone at night in an empty studio listening to your favorite song. Surely you could let loose?

"When he kisses me, I get that thrill
When he does that wiggle I won't keep still."

You yourself wiggled your body a little as you sang and moved.

"I wanna a tough lover (yeah, yeah)
A tough lover (woo)
I need a tough lover (yeah, yeah)
Tough lover (hum, hum)"

You sang all the back up parts, because of course you did. No one else was going to and you were simply enjoying the music and the song. This next verse was one of your favorites and you allowed yourself to set the boxes down and truly belt it, letting the sound of your voice echo off the walls.

"The seven sisters got nothing on him
I'm talking about a lover who's fast as the wind
Everyone will talk about how he got me fixed
It ain't voodoo, it's just that twist
He will be the greatest lover that ever come to pass
Don Juan ain't got the half the chance."

As you jumped back into the chorus you danced some more, unashamedly shaking your hips to the beat of the song. The music seemed to come alive in you and you stacked two boxes in your arms, going back to your pile in the corner.

"Hey, hey, he'yeah
He'll make me laugh, he'll make me cry
He'll be so tough he'll make Venus come alive
He'll do anything that he wants to do
Step on Jesse James's blue suede shoes - HOLY SHIT!"

Maybe the boxes had covered them, maybe you were a little too into the song, but you hadn't noticed the two men standing in the doorway of the studio. The boxes fell to the floor and Christina Aguilera riffed softly in the background. You placed a hand over your heart, then rushed to your phone to turn the music off.

"I'm so sorry!"

One of the men was older, handsome and a little short with bright white hair and an eccentric sense of style. The other was young, devilishly handsome with blonde curly hair and blue eyes that stared wide at you. He had big lips parted ever so slightly.

"I," you rushed to explain yourself, gesturing to the truck behind you and the boxes. "I, I deliver and I was late and I thought no one was here so I was just singing to myself but then I noticed the walls were echoey so I went louder and I thought I was alone and I didn't realize and I'm so sorry-"

The older man cut your ramblings off by raising his hand, walking closer to you. The younger followed, his longs legs carrying him close to you. As they got closer the pit in your stomach grew because you recognized them. Baz Luhrmann, the older, was one of your favorite directors. And Austin Butler, the younger, was a face you were familiar with. Your hand instinctively went to your face in shame, feeling the heat of embarrassment flood through you. You were going to get fired, you would never ever get a job again after this.

Baz looked you up and down, a slight hum from his voice. "Turn around for me."

"W-what?"

"Can you turn around for me?" He repeated.

A little confused, you did as he asked. Baz crossed his arms in front of him, staring at you.

"Aus, go stand next to her."

Austin did so, although he was a little softer than Baz. He still stood a reasonable distance and gave you an understanding smile, knowing the confusion that must be going on. But he seemed to know exactly what it was, and his look relaxed you.

"Hmm, do you act?"

The question caught you so out of left field you almost choked in response. But you quickly answered, "yes."

"Good, good." Baz looked at you again, then to Austin. "Have you heard about the biopic for Elvis?"

Your eyes widened as you remembered the headlines. Austin Butler was to play Elvis Presley in Baz Luhrmann's biopic. This must be their studio that you had stumbled onto for work. You swallowed and nodded.

"We've been struggling to find a Priscilla Presley. I think you'll do nicely."

"What?"

His eyes flickered down to your name tag, "Y/N, would you like to play Priscilla Presley in my upcoming movie?"

"Yes." You said without hesitation, mouth still completely agape. One second you'd been singing your heart out to a Christina Aguilera song and the next you were potentially cast in a very high brow movie. Was this real? You pinched your arm but it didn't fade away.

"Splendid. Come back tomorrow at 8 to sign the paperwork. Rehearsal starts at noon."

Then Baz turned to walk away, leaving you and Austin alone. You looked at him with wide eyes.

"Did that just happen?"

Austin chuckled, that deep voice rumbling against the empty studio. "It did."

"And you're Elvis?"

"And you're Priscilla," he said back matter-of-factly.

Your mouth fell open again a little, "I'm Priscilla."

"I'm looking forward to working with you, Y/N." Austin said, leaning forward to kiss your cheek before leaving the studio.

God damn.