What a Wonderful Life - Elvis

A/N : Request by @1-800-lana, not gonna lie I'm doing A Christmas Carol play right now and I took inspiration

You smiled as Olivia DeJonge came bursting through the door, a wide grin on her face upon seeing you. She threw her arms open and hugged you tightly.

"Y/N, so good to see you!" Olivia said, then glanced around your home and gasped. "You decorated for Christmas!"

Everyone else who had been trickling in after her commented on the Christmas tree, the garland wrapped round the banister. Baz Luhrmann cooed over the photo of you and Elvis back in 1970 at the Christmas tree, baby Lisa Marie on his lap with a toothy grin. Tom Hanks kissed you on the cheek and gave a curt compliment, but you knew he was happy to see you.

Everyone burst into laughter when Alton Mason strode in, he himself covered in tinsel as though it was a dress of sorts. Kodi Smit-McPhee followed after with a Christmas Tree hat. Austin Butler was the last to show up, but it wasn't because he didn't want to be there. He had a tray of cookies and said he lost track of time.

Upon seeing you, Austin's face lit up and he flashed his slightly crooked smile. You hugged him, having to stretch because of his height.

"Thank you so much for having me, Y/N," Austin said, his voice sincere.

The group migrated towards the living room where the tree was, plus a million snacks you'd set on the coffee table. Olivia and Austin sat right next to you, like a son and daughter, sharing about their days and their lives. The conversation got to the fan base and how Elvis had just radically changed so much of it.

"Some of the edits are just crazy, man," Austin laughed, bringing a hand to his face. "I really appreciate that they care so much, it's just crazy."

"Some of them are so cute!" Olivia added.

Baz nodded, shoving a cracker loaded with cheese into his mouth before saying, "I love when they show Y/N and Elvis, then Olivia and Austin."

"Parallels!" Anton said.

You looked around with a confused expression and Olivia's brows went up, "you haven't seen them?"

"I'm not much of a social media person. At my age, social media just feels silly."

Olivia immediately pulled out her phone and started tapping as everyone else continued talking about it. Then she put her phone in your face to show you what they called an 'edit.' In it, Olivia and Austin dressed in your wedding attire were smiling and laughing to Can't Help Falling In Love. As Olivia moved her head, the picture changed to video of your wedding with Elvis. The rice throw that hit your cheeks and made Elvis laugh. The large cake you gawked at. The way he whispered into your ear during the reception as though no one was there. Despite yourself, you started to tear up.

"It's wonderful."

"It's so romantic," Olivia agreed, then noticed your emotional state. She didn't say anything, she just put her arm around you sweetly and sat with you. No one else seemed to notice and you appreciated Olivia staying quiet.

You tried to push away the memories of that day, of Elvis Presley and your marriage. It wasn't a perfect marriage, far from it, but you still proudly say that he was and is the love of your life. Just because you couldn't stay married to him didn't mean you didn't cherish every moment with him. He was a great father when he was around, and he was a generous and kind man to everyone. Seeing those days of bliss, the moments when you didn't know what was to come, it was overwhelming.

Olivia helped distract you throughout the night and you continued to spend time with everyone. You opened gifts, ate cookies, and enjoyed the games. Austin was not very good at Pictionary, though he gave it his best shot.

Eventually everyone started to file out around midnight, and you kissed each and every person on their cheeks before they left.

Olivia was the last, her hands holding yours tightly, "I don't know if I've ever truly said how honored I am to have played you, Y/N. You are an excellent woman and everyone understands why Elvis fell in love with you."

That same tightness in your chest started, pulling at each memory that flashed through your mind, "thank you, dear. You did quite wonderful."

Olivia smiled, kissed your cheek, and closed the door behind her. Now you were alone, truly alone in the dark and empty house you once shared with Elvis so long ago. You went upstairs, feeling the weight of the past with each step until your legs felt like lead.

Pictures of your life with Lisa Marie covered the walls, and there seemed to be an Elvis one at each corner. God, you missed him. It wasn't even because he was famous or handsome, you missed him because he was your love. You wanted to share all of this with him, you wanted him to see the impact he's left. That last conversation you had with him came back to you, him telling you that he was all out of dreams. You wished more than anything that you could refill it for him, show him there's so much more to live for.

Without even changing from your attire, you curled into bed. It had been decades since Elvis passed but you still left his side of the bed untouched. Tonight, you took his pillow and held it to your body. You cried into the soft silk, needing your husband who had been gone for so long.

Later that night, you were awoken by the cool moonlight coming into your bedroom. You blinked at the window at the end of your bed, not remembering opening it before you went to sleep. In a haze, you went to close it.

"Y/N."

The voice startled you and when you turned, you saw a pale version of Elvis sitting on the edge of your bed. He was young, maybe around 30, and he seemed a little translucent. You brought one hand to your heart and the other to your mouth to stop from screaming.

He smiled softly, "hey baby."

"Elvis?"

"I miss you."

The wildness of this seemed to slip away at those words and you said them back with such strong intensity, "I miss you more."

He chuckled a little, looking down at his lap, "I ain't gonna see you for a bit. Just wanted to let you know I see you, and I love you."

"Not going to see you?"

"You got lots more living to do, baby. But when you're ready, I'll be there."

You were crying, when had you started to cry? You wiped at your eyes and went to stand in front of Elvis, wanting to touch him but knowing he's not actually there.

"I love you."

"I love you more," his deep sultry voice filled the room then he disappeared.

You actually woke up this time from whatever dream you'd just escaped to, eyes opening to a dark bedroom where the window was closed as you'd left it. You were still hugging Elvis's silk pillow.