Hard Knocks - Elvis

A/N: request by @kfear89 thanks for your patience!

You came home with the groceries in an exhausted mood. The store closest to Graceland didn't have the formula you needed so had to drive 30 minutes out of the way and poor Lisa Marie was teething. You got some rum to rub on her gums but you were genuinely apprehensive of that method despite your mother's security.

All you wanted was to go to bed but you knew that Elvis got back while you were out, hence why your nanny's car was gone from the driveway. He had just done two weeks straight of shows and you knew he'd be just shattered. It wouldn't be fair to expect him to take care of Lisa Marie after providing so much.

When you came in, you didn't hear any noise. You dropped the bags on the counter and went in search of Elvis and Lisa Marie. The sound of soft singing halted you, and you went towards the living room.

On the carpet in the center, Elvis was cradling Lisa Marie against his chest as a record played softly. He murmured the lyrics, rubbing her back and closing his eyes as he cherished the moment. You watched earnestly, the wear of the day melting with the beauty of a father simply enjoying time with his daughter.

Lisa Marie loved her father and you knew Elvis loved her more than anything on the planet. You leaned against the doorframe and watched.

Elvis caught you watching when he opened his eyes, and he smiled, pointing to you and saying, "there's mama."

Lisa was tired and babbled a little, but you knew she needed to go to bed. You went to take her but Elvis waved you away, saying he needed the one on one with his baby. Elvis put Lisa to sleep and you sat on the couch. When he came back, you had fallen asleep. He chuckled to himself and he carried you to bed as well.

The next few weeks, Lisa Marie was fussy as can be. Though it was frustrating for you, you could only imagine how confusing and painful it would be for a baby who has no concept of anything aside from the basic essentials. So you tried to be patient with her, rubbing the rum along her gum line and kissing her until she giggled loudly.

When Elvis tried to put her down for a nap, Lisa was not having any of it. She wiggled and screamed, holding her little hands out until he finally took her from the crib. You were folding her clothes on the other side of the room, shaking your head.

Elvis sat down on the rocking chair and bounced Lisa on her knee to try and calm her down. She was whining, shaking her little fists and legs in anger. She reached for Elvis's sleeve and when he pulled it away, she cried some more.

"It's a hard knock life kid, get used to it," he said with a little pout. She looked up at him with large eyes and took a deep breath before screeching her little lungs out.

"Elvis..." you said as you went to take her. He held her to him, swatting you away.

"I got this," he grabbed her round her waist and shook her gently, starting to sing in a low voice, "you ain't nothing but a hound dog."

Lisa seemed a little confused, and she calmed down to watch her father. After a minute or two, she even giggled at her father's antics. Elvis looked at you with a wide and shocked smile, pure joy on his face. He continued, grabbing her little toes and shaking her legs as he continued, "you ain't ever caught a rabbit and you ain't no friend of mine."

She smiled a gummy grin, drool dribbling down her lips and Elvis danced with her on the rocking chair. As he sang the next lyric he brought her up and blew raspberries on her stomach, which caused her to explode in loud giggles of happiness.

When the little song was over, Lisa Marie grabbed his puffy sleeve and pulled into her mouth.

"Oh it's all yours, darlin, go for it," he said, adjusting for her.

You smiled, folding some more clothes as Elvis played with Lisa Marie. This was your life. It wasn't perfect, Elvis wasn't always there, but he loved you and he loved his daughter. That was all you could truly ask for.