Season 5- Chapter 13: Crutches (Troy's POV

Side note, the next three chaps take place before Mike's proposal.

Troy finally regained the feeling in his arms, not really anywhere else, but that meant he didn't have to use a wheelchair. He could try and use crutches. The path to recovery was very long, but Troy was ready to take that journey.

He tried to get up using the crutches, but his arms started shaking uncontrollably, probably because he had not exercised for a long time. He exhaled and sat back in the wheelchair. "I can't get a fucking break!" He yelled then covering his eyes with his hands. "Damn, I know I wasn't the best person before, but this whole game of torture isn't fun," he said looking up, as if someone could hear him. He used his arms and hands to drag himself onto his bed. He lied down and put his hands over his stomach. Seems like he took walking for granted.

He woke up and grabbed his clothes that he presetted on the floor. He could finally get dressed by himself, although it was hard. His upper body still wasn't completely good. He could only feel his arms, hands, and face. Everything else was un-operational, and it was hell for him. He couldn't feel anything from his waist and below, which meant he also didn't know when he needed to use the restroom, meaning he's have to try and not drink or eat a lot especially during school. His physical doctor told him that it'd take at least 7 more months for his body to be fully operational, which meant it could take longer. On top of that, he might still be in the wheelchair by the time graduation came around, and one of his goals were that he'd walk the stage, not wheel it. 

He wheeled outside of the house and waited for Dustin to get to the car. He was in his own world, thinking about everything that had happened to him since his sophomore year, and it was a lot. In the past 3 years, he's seen both of his parents die, killed someone, fell into depression multiple times, attempted suicide twice, died, and lost all feelings from the neck and below. He was shocked because most people only went through one of those things that once in a lifetime, but Troy has been through all of it. He was only 17, and he's been through all of that while people who are like 40 have never gone through any of that.

Dustin finally came out, and Troy smiled at him. "Okay, big boy, let's get you into this car," Dustin said, and Troy rolled his eyes. "Shut up," he said jokingly, and Dustin picked him up and placed him in the seat. He then put up the wheelchair into the trunk. "You know, it's so fun being your caretaker," Dustin said, and Troy eyed him. "Especially when you needed to get dressed," Dustin said, and Troy playfully punched his shoulder. They then drove off to school.

They had different first periods, so they split up. Troy went down the hallway when he saw Jake. He knew it was physically impossible to avoid him since they had so many classes together. "Hey," Jake said and Troy eyed him. "Jake I," he began and Jake interrupted him. "No just listen," Jake said, and Troy stopped talking. "Ok here it goes, look, Troy, what I did to you, it's eating me up inside because I know it was wrong and I would sacrifice anything to go back and change that. Look, I know that we can't be together anymore, and that's entirely my fault, but please, give me a chance, I wanna be friends," Jake said and Troy eyed him. "Jake I," he began but he cut himself out. It was better if he and Jake were on good terms, it'll relieve some stress from his life as well. "One last chance, If you blow it, that's it," he said and Jake smiled. Jake was about to hug Troy but he settled on a handshake, Troy shook his hand and they went to class.

Troy was pretty disappointed in himself for forgiving Jake that easily, but it was best for him and Jake if they put it behind them. After all, Troy wasn't obligated to continue to talk to Jake all the time, all he needed to do was forgive him. And when he did finally forgive Jake, it made him feel relieved, as if that was one of his main stressors. He did his work, as usual, because he wanted to be accepted into NYU and even though his idol was accepted easily, doesn't mean he would be too. They both live in different periods and back then it was easier, but now it was much harder. He needed to make sure his grades were on point, and his lowest grade ever was a B+ so that shouldn't be too hard. He also needed a high score on the SAT and good recommendations as well. He was pretty confident in himself though, and he had supportive people around him too, he was almost positive that'd he'd get accepted.