Thirty-Six

She sighed, as she stepped out of the bathroom, relieved to know it really wasn't a dream. She stood there, smiling to herself, seeing Grant asleep next to Evie, and Peter was on the double bed under the window. She had made sure to adjust her room to fit them, when she brought Evie here last night.

Watching the three of them sleep, it all began to hit her. The loss of everyone else, now knowing their world was gone. To know that she could've lost these three too, she sank to the floor, and pulled her knees up, as she cried quietly. She thought she had saved them, but instead, she had condemned her world.

She should've fought harder, if she hadn't hesitated, when Loki was killed, then she would killed the bastard who took everything from them. It was her fault, she did all the bad stuff, gaining powers to protect her world, and she failed. She failed everyone, and especially her daughter. Because of her, Evie lost her papa.

How was she going to explain this world to her? That there was an alternate Loki? And the others that Evie knew of? How was she going to explain, that there was someone who looked like her papa, but wasn't? Not to mention that there was someone else who looked like her dad.

This was all too much for her, and she felt as though she couldn't breathe, her chest getting tight as the crushing weight of it all, was pressing down on her.

'I got you trouble..'.. His arms came around her, moving to sit her in his lap, as he soothed her quietly.

Grant knew it would happen, knew she would break. They had talked, when she woke up in the night, and the other two were asleep. He had a feeling she didn't go back to sleep herself afterwards. He had told her everything that had happened, but there was something he couldn't say. He knew if he did, she would hate him for it. He kept himself shielded from her, not wanting her to hear his thoughts.

'Its all my fault..'.. She murmured... 'I-I didn't stop him. I hesitated..'

He stroked her back, closing his eyes... 'I hesitated too, we all did. We lost him, lost our family. Its not your fault Lottie, it never was..'

'I made us stronger to protect everyone-..'

'We never expected that to happen. No one did..'.. He pulled back, looking down at her, seeing the guilt in her eyes... 'He was too strong for all of us. It wasn't our fault, don't ever think that..'.. He kissed her head, and saw Evie start to stir, and Peter stretched out.

'Daddy?...'.. Her little voice full of sleep as she sat up and rubbed her eyes.

BB quickly wiped her face and stood up, heading to the bed. Evie scrambled to her, and jumped into her arms... 'Why you crying mama?..'.. She held on tight.

'I'm just so happy to see you again, I missed you so so much..'.. BB sat on the bed, looking between the two men... 'We have to talk sweetie, I need to tell you about this world..'.. She waved her hand, making a table and four chairs appear in the open space and breakfast on the table... 'But first..'.. She kissed Evies head... 'Are blueberry pancakes still your favorite?..'

Evie giggled, and wriggled out of her mom's arms to sit at the table. The others joined her and BB explained everything as best she could about everyone, especially Loki and Steve.

'Its ok mama, I saw them. I know they're not daddy or papa..'.. She said sadly... 'I miss him, and everyone, but can they still be my family?..'

BB cleared her throat, nodding with a small smile... 'Of course. They became my family when I found them, and they helped me..'.. She held out her hand to her daughter who took it... 'And I know they are going to love you..'