Café Talk (Scarecrow/Jonathan Crane x Reader)

When I met Jonathan I'm sure he wouldn't have cared if I died the next day. Now, it's different. We've fallen in love, I know that. Not with each other, sadly. I know I've fallen in love with him. He's hopelessly in love with a girl who acts like she cares when she really doesn't. For a former professor, you'd think he'd be smart - he is with everything else, but not when it comes to feelings.

We were the best of friends. Emphasis on were because we never talk anymore. We. . .sort of drifted apart. I don't know how, I didn't realize until I called a week ago and he replied with it's been awhile.

I want our friendship to fix itself but I know it can't. I can't work like magic and we'll, all of a sudden, be friends again. I'm sure it went back to the way it used to be; I cared, he didn't. For a while, I though he liked me but when I asked he didn't answer. So maybe that's what made us drift apart.

I was the reason for our separation.

"I'd like for us to meet for lunch," I hear his voice through the speaker on my phone. His voice sounds as if he's sick. He gives a sniffle and I want to smile at how cute it sounded. Weirdly, I do.

"Okay. What time, then?" I ask.

"Stop smiling. In fifteen minutes - the café on your street," after that he hangs up. I wonder how the heck he knew I was smiling for a second but shrug it off. I decide to get ready.

It's a sunny day in Gotham, oddly. I want to wear something cute so I put on a sleeveless grey sweater which goes under a navy blue skirt. Black flats go with the outfit. It's not my usual style, but it matches my (H/C) hair and makes my (E/C) pop. I'd usually go for a pair of jeans and a T-shirt but Jonathan is an exception.

Before I leave I grab a beige cardigan just to go over my top. Then I head for the café. I'm barely here, I barely drink coffee. I usually order a hot chocolate or just a soda/pop (I call it pop but idk about you guys).

I see Jonathan before I even walk in the café. He's sitting in a window booth. He's wearing a blue plaid dress shirt. I had bought him that for a party I made him go to. It was the only reason be went. It was my first summer in college. It was my first kiss. I don't get drunk, neither did Jonathan but we, somehow, ended up with a kiss. We never talked about it so I figured it was nothing special. But aren't first kisses always special?

"(Y/N), you look nice," he compliments when I take a seat across from him. I don't want to blush, but I do anyway. Jonathan makes me feel emotions that only the can make me feel. I've dated other men, but there was only one thing they wanted; sex.

"Thank you," I say quietly and I immediately want to die. Metaphorically speaking, of course. I'm an embarrassment when I get shy and I want to go six feet under, like a dead person.

"Wendy and I broke up," he says. I freeze. That was her name?

"Oh."

I pick at my nails, avoid eye contact. This was sudden, I didn't expect it. I wasn't ready for it. I was just starting to get over him. Oh, who am I kidding? I'll never get over him. He's like a drug I'm addicted to.

"She was cheating on me. I. . .caught her."

Oh god. That's the worst way to find out.

"How do you feel?" I ask, awkwardly. You see, I'm trying to be nice. But I honestly didn't like the girl. I didn't like their relationship. She seemed shady, might as well call her Ray Bans.

"Actually, I'm not that bothered. I mean, I knew she didn't love me. I don't know why I-"

"She didn't love you? And you knew?"