Protection (Suicide Squad!Joker x Reader)

"Let me ask you something - what does it matter if you send me back to the asylum if it doesn't matter to me?"

  You thought for a while. Of course, sending him back to the asylum would be the right thing to do. You wanted to do the right thing. But you also didn't. If it meant losing him, again, you didn't want to do it. You loved him. At least, you thought you did. He only thought you were insane - somehow more than him or ever will be. He never believed in love. He never wanted to love anyone. He never had emotions. Not since Jeannie.

  He was The Joker.

  "All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just. One. Bad. Day."

  "I'm guessing that's what happened to you, right? What made you who you are? Girlfriend killed by the mob? Brother carved up by a some mugger?" you finally replied to the madman. He never lost his smile. It was always there. Forever.

  He starts to laugh his crazy high pitched laugh. Though, you sort-of liked it. You didn't want to, but you also couldn't help it. "Something like that," he said while laughing.

  You squinted at him, quietly observing him.

  "I'm not exactly sure what it was. Sometimes I remember it one way, sometimes another. . . If I'm going to have a past, I prefer it to be multiple choice!" he stops to laugh, again. "But my point is. . . My point is, I went crazy. When I saw what a black, awful joke the world was, I went crazy as a coot!"

  Hearing him finally confess something surprised you, but you weren't going to admit it.

  "Do you know what triggered the last world war? An argument over how many telegraph poles Germany owed its war debt creditors! Telegraph poles!" He laughed. "It's all a joke! Everything anybody ever valued or struggled for. . . it's all a monstrous, demented gag! So why can't you see the funny side? Why aren't you laughing?"

  "You're not as funny as you think."

  "Yet, you say you love me."

  "I do," you respond. It wasn't false. You really did. "But I have to do the right thing here."

  "Not really."

  "I'm a police officer, dammit! It's the law," you quickly become frustrated, but don't put any restraints on him.

  He turned around, hands behind his back. He didn't care if he went back to Arkham. Batman wouldn't kill him, and certainly not the police force - even if they wanted to, and almost everyone was afraid of him. The Joker would always escape. Always. He was ready to be put back. His home, away from home. He then realized you're not taking any action in arresting him. You stood still, trying to figure out what to do.

  "Well, arrest me already!" He exclaims, clearly he was getting upset that you weren't doing anything. It was like he was surrendering. Odd.

  He turned, shaking his finger at you. His light green hair almost shined from the street lights. "Tsk, tsk, tsk. Continue playing this game, (Y/N), and you'll lose your job."

  "Why do you care?"

  "That's the funny part. I don't!" The Joker started to laugh hysterically. You couldn't help but contain your laughter.

  "You're crazy."

  "Who isn't?"

  You sigh, not noticing how close he's gotten in a matter of seconds. He stood in front of you, smiling. His bright blue eyes stared into yours, with a big smile on his face.

  "I want. . .to protect you."

  He growls. His hands hover over your shoulders, wanting to pull you into a hug. He was more. . .involved than you. Though, he didn't love you as much as you loved him. He just wanted you. You needed him. Before he could actually do it himself, you pulled him closer by his purple jacket and he lets out a low 'oof'.

  After a while of hugging, he kissed you. You forgot what it felt like. You forgot how much you liked his lips on yours. The Joker held your hips with a tight grip, pulling you closer. The kisses were passionate but quick. Unusual, but you still loved it. You loved it. You loved it.

  You loved him.

-----

Sorry for being inactive. I'd say something remotely reasonable as to why, but I honestly don't have any ideas or energy to write. I hope you all had a good Christmas/holidays. :-)

AND I finally wrote something based on the Suicide Squad characters. I plan to do more, so if you can - comment some characters? I've made references to The Killing Joke, and the Joker isn't much like Suicide Squad's Joker. Very much OOC.