65. Because I....

"Naruto...."

Naruto ignored me and looked around quickly for something. Finally, his eyes landed on someone and he called them over. I heard running footsteps coming in our direction and seconds later Sakura stood by us, panting heavily and staring at me with tearful eyes.

"Sakura-chan" Naruto said, looking up at the many Pain's "take Ruka and get her healed, find a save place for her to hide."

Sakura nodded and Naruto set me on my feet as Sakura slung an arm around my shoulder, helping me stand. I frowned slightly and pushed Sakura away from me, wincing as I slowly stood up on my own.

"You're gonna fight them alone, aren't you" I asked.

"I don't have much of a choice."

"You do have a choice" I said angrily, punching him on the chest "let me help you! You don't have to fight them alone and if you do you'll just end up getting yourself killed!"

"Do you see that scroll on his back" Naruto said angrily, pointing at the Pain that had been tossing me around like a rag doll.

I bit my inner cheek hard and nodded as Naruto lowered his finger and turned towards me, tightly gripping my shoulders.

"That scroll is for you!" He said "if Pain gets to you he'll use that scroll to take Kinase out of your body and seal her in there. Then you'll die! You know I don't want that."

"You always say what you don't want!" I said furiously "well I don't want you to try and get yourself killed for my sake! I don't want you to get hurt trying to be the hero all the damn time! I DON'T WANT THAT!"

Naruto frowned slightly and avoided my gaze completely. I clenched my hands tightly into fist as Naruto removed his hands from my shoulders and pushed me into Sakura.

"Sakura-chan" he repeated, his voice sounding weak "take Ruka and get her healed, find a safe place for her to hide."

Sakura nodded firmly and ran off, forcefully taking me with her. I clenched my teeth tightly together and followed Sakura, not having the spirit to fight with him anymore. A painful feeling arose in my chest and I clutched at it uncomfortably.

Sometimes, I really hate you Naruto!

*****

"There" Sakura said, wiping at some sweat on her forehead and leaning back "I've healed you the best I can. It's safe for you to move around now."

I remained silent and simply nodded in gratitude as Sakura smiled and began healing the small wounds she had on herself. We were currently underneath a giant piece of concrete that was being sturdily held up by other pieces of rock and destroyed wood from our village. I looked out of the entrance and saw Naruto fighting Pain as the battle got more and more intense.

"He only did it because he loves you."

I blinked in surprise and moved away from the exit before staring at Sakura in surprise. She grinned sadly and lowered her gaze to the ground, her pink hair covering her eyes.

"I envy you Ruka" she admitted, tightly clenching a handful of dirt in her hands "you have someone who is always there for you....someone who protects you with all their might."

I frowned slightly and already knew she was talking about Sasuke. Sakura's shoulders dropped and I watched as she let out small sobs, her tears falling heavily to the ground. I scratched the back of my neck and looked around awkwardly as Sakura continued to cry.

"Y-You must have earned it s-somehow!" She chocked out "all I've ever wanted w-was for Sasuke-kun to acknowledge me....now he j-just treats me like a waste of his time! Like our friendship was n-nothing to him!"