Chapter 22

Dragonball: Unforgotten  
Chapter Twenty-two

You felt the sun on your face before you even recognized that you were awake. It was a warm slice of air but at the same time damnably offensive to your eyes. You put a pillow over your head as you tried to ignore the fact that you were waking up. Unfortunately with how hard it was to breathe lately, the pillow didn't help. So you were forced to move it.

Slowly you turned over to the side that didn't have bright open windows letting the sin in. You blinked heavily as you tried to wake up. You needed to get up to get something to eat. That would slow down your deterioration. You knew that. But it felt like an impossible task. You were too weak to really do much lately. It was shocking how week you'd gotten so quickly, how frail you felt.

It had been one week since Goku and you had gotten married. So far he had found and brought back another dragonball but there was still one more to go. You'd lost another ten pounds and no matter what you did, everything hurt. Based on some colorations in your vomit and other waste you had a bad feeling that your kidneys and other such digestive organs were on their last few days.

Mr. Popo tried to help as much as someone could in this situation. At the start Of the week brought you one of those magic beans with every meal. Yesterday, however, there had only been one. You were blowing through their senzu bean supplies like they were going out of style. And that guilt are you up from the inside out.

This time when he came in you made a personal request. You needed a piece of paper, a pen, and something hard to write on. The scary genie man complied with your wishes with a somber tone. The moment that you had it, you worked on a simple letter for Goku. Just Incase. And one for your parents. It was sad how narrow your life had gotten. You'd not kept in touch with any of the friends you'd once had in school. It was hard when they were in that place for 7 hours of their day. But you didn't regret leaving school for a home study when you had. If you hadn't you never would have met Goku.

His letter, though the shortest, was the hardest to actually write. Your hand shook as you tried to convey what you'd wanted. Just Incase...

"Why don't you come outside today?" Kami asked as he stood in the doorway.

You smiled at the old man. After being there for a week you'd almost gotten used to the two of them - Mr. Popo and Kami. They really were among the best.

"Can I borrow your cane?" You joked weakly.

Kami smiled dimly as you started to propped yourself up. "I can arrange something.

With a flash of light you saw what he'd made. Right beside your bed was a wheelchair. And with a pulse coming from the guardian, you felt yourself being lifted into it and gently put down. Mr. Popo went behind to push you in the wheelchair.

"Your energy is almost gone," Kami explained. "You're fading fast."

"Like a falling star," you agreed.

"We have run out of senzu beans and the last dragonball is proving difficult. He may not make it back in time."

Your swallowed thickly. You had started to come to terms with that when you realized that you'd gotten less and less of those beans. You had even cried out all of your tears last night. Which is exactly why you weren't crying now. Instead you were just looking out to the area. Not that you could see much. Your sight had been deteriorating rapidly over the last few days.

"Can I see my parents again?"

Kami looked at you with a great level of understanding. You knew that you sounded like a child but you were passed caring at that point. You were dying. Who cared if some old man thought you were week?