Chapter 31

Dragonball: Unforgotten
Chapter Thirty-one

You lingered next to the shop as you waited for the girl Gohan to describe to show up. He was supposed to meet her at the center of Satan City's main shopping and entertainment district. If the time on the nearby clock was right, she was late. You leaned back against a guard post that guarded a large pedestrian walkway. Gohan came out of the store, licking his fingers as the ice cream started to melt. You smiled when you turn around to watch him try to eat the ice cream cookie sandwich without getting messy. He was failing.

You reached out and gently took the second one from him when he got close enough. "No sign of her so far."

"Really, I was sure she said around noon," Gohan replied as he checked his watch. It was two minutes after noon.

"Did she sat at noon or around noon?" You asked for clarification.

Earlier he said at noon. Now he was changing it to around noon. You licked around your ice-cream treat to help reapply its form. You didn't realize that Gohan was paying more attention than even he realized. Gohan made a thoughtful sound in the back of his throat as he mimicked what you had just done, unconsciously.

"Around noon I think? Does that matter?"

"Depends on what type of girl she is. She could be late by your standards because she was fixing up her hair for the date. Or trying on every cute outfit trying to find the right one for you. Or a lot of different things."

"Girls do that?" Gohan asked. "Doesn't that seem silly?"

"To each their own," you shrugged.

You ate your ice cream sandwich in relative silence as Gohan thought about what you said. Now he felt bad about trying to get out of the date since the girl, Angela, was putting so much effort into it.

"Maybe I should just go on the date? I mean, if she's putting that much effort into it."

"Hmmm that's up to you Gohan. But in my opinion you shouldn't be blackmailed into anything. Doesn't seem like the start of a good relationship. Especially if it's your first one. It is right?"

You'd guessed that based on how he described his life. It seemed to you that he'd been just about as isolated as Goku had been. Most of his life was spent learning or fighting for his life. But it was even worse than Goku in the sense that going to High School was the first chance he had ever interacted with kids his own age. Or around his own age. Goku at least had Krillin and Bulma.

"Yes, this would have been my first," Gohan said honestly, not embarrassed by that which was good.

"So it's your choice," you said as you hopped up on the sidewalk divider, sitting on it.

"I guess when I see her I'll go with what feels right," Gohan finally settled, buying himself time before he had to make a choice. "How do you know all this stuff? About human girls and dating?"

You blinked, deciding how to tell him without sounding too weird. You took a few bites and nibbles out of your icecream sandwich as you thought it over. You didn't want to lie to him but the truth was a little hard to swallow. Then again...he'd grown up knowing about aliens and magic dragons, so maybe it wasn't as hard to believe as it had been for you.

"Well you see—"

You didn't have time to explain as a girl walked up to Gohan. She moved between the respectable distance that had been between you and the half saiyan. Which meant that you didn't have the best view of her, but you did see enough.