Chapter 7

Zöe:

My reflection glared back at me as I went to sit in front of the mirror. I saw a thin, small, frail girl- who didn't look as if she was much use- with a narrow face and slanting cheekbones. She looked scared and sad, he big sea-green eyes wide and tired. Her long black hair fell in tangles down her back.

I shook my head and grabbed a brush. Dragging it through my hair with gritted teeth, as I struggled to tame the black mess.

I hit a tat at the back and sighed. Tugging harder. But it wouldn't budge.

I was in a bad way. Tomorrow was the anniversary of moms death, and I was just breaking down.

I threw the brush on the ground in a strop and screamed through my teeth.

The door clicked open as I started punching the wall. “Hey,” said a gentle, recognisable voice. “Hey, stop that.”

Damien glided over to me smoothly and kneeled down on the floor. He grabbed my wrist, firmly but gently, and prised my hands open until they were no longer clenched into fists. He sighed as he pulled his sleeve down to wipe my bloody hands, before looking me in the eyes. “What's up?” He asked softly, still holding onto my wrists.

“I...” I choked and pulled my hands away to wipe my eyes. “... Can't do my hair.” He laughed but his eyes were full of pity. He knew that tomorrow was ‘the day’ and I was always sensitive the night before.

“Here.” Was all he said. And without another word he pulled me into a sitting position, and sat down with his legs either side of me. He picked up the brush, and set to untangling my hair.

“Thank you.” I whispered, as I leaned back against his warm chest.

He smiled down at me. “It's my pleasure Zöe.”