Chapter 62

Danny:

I knew it was over from the silence that had fallen over the woods. The only sound being the heavy breathing coming from the demigods.

But I stayed lying down until Selena called for me.

“Danny. It's over. You can get up.” I sat up slowly, and crawled to my knees. My muscles protested at the sudden movement, how long had I been lying down there?

I stretched and stood. Before averting my eyes to the demigods who waited to my side.

They looked... Dead.

Their faces were pale, apart from their flushed cheeks, and they were beaded with sweat. Their clothes were covered in mud and grime and monster dust, as well as some of their own blood. They were covered in various wounds and injuries. Zöe had a painful looking gash just under her eye, Damien had a similar one on his forehead, and Selena was limping.

“We need to go.” Selena said bluntly, as she pulled a disfigured spike from her thigh.

I gave her an incredulous look. “Don't be ridiculous, you can hardly walk! You need some of that magical drink stuff!”

She sighed impatiently. “It's called Nectar, Danny. But no. We are going to walk another mile or so, find some decent shelter. And then we'll sort ourselves out.” Her tone was final, but I couldn't believe what she was saying.

“Selena...” I started, before getting cut off as she shoved me hard in the chest.

“SHUT UP Danny!” She snapped. “You're a mortal! You don't have any idea what you're talking about! We need to go or else well get cornered again and we won't be strong enough to fight. Not that you'd know. Because you're only capable of hiding in the bushes!” She shoved me again. “So just shut up, keep your head down, and wait until we actually need you. You're not one of us Danny. You never EVER will be!” I stumbled backwards. Hurt by her harsh words.

A strange look washed over her face, like she only then realised what she'd said. But then she turned on her heel and starting storming away without another word, leaving me no choice but to follow Zöe and Damien as they followed her out of the woodland.

None of us spoke until we found shelter. And the whole time I kept my head down and my fists clenched. Willing myself not to cry.