Lightening the Mood

Everyone was slow about eating probably since none of us wanted to eat, to begin with. As much as I tried to control my power it was a lot harder than I thought it was going to be. Last night it's almost like my power completely stopped working, but today it's been so much worse. I'm reading almost everyone's minds as my power keeps jumping from person to person sometimes multiple people at once. I can tell I'm not the only one struggling with emotionally based powers.

I could feel the weight on Eren's shoulders that his power was putting on him, and I could tell whenever Armin had a bad thought or feeling even without my powers focusing on him. He would drop his fork as it phased through his fingers or he would start going transparent for a quick second. Even Annie's powers were acting up. She kept one hand under the table since it had fully crystallized after clenching her fist so tightly it broke the skin.

I took a deep breath before my powers snapped to a different person. I feel bad that I'm not as affected about this as everyone else. Like sure I'm sad and upset about Ilsa's death but I feel like I should be more upset. Maybe it's because I didn't know her very well. I mean I've never even met her before, but a part of me still wishes I was more tor up about her death because it is sad. I just wish I got to know her better.

I looked up at a nearby table and realized it was Hanna's thought I was hearing. My power snapped to Franz and Mina who were at the table with her and their thoughts were pretty much the same. That's right they never even met Ilsa since she was in the upper classes while they were still in the high school classes.

I felt my thoughts snap to a different person and instantly I was flooded with happy memories of Ilsa. It took me a moment to realize it was Chrisra's thoughts I was reading. I took a deep breath and tried to pull my powers back in to focus on Eren. They ended up focusing on Jean for some reason. Stupid powers. I tried to focus on Eren but they wouldn't budge.

Jean's thoughts were pretty empty at first, mostly he was just paying attention to what was happening in the room until I saw his thoughts go to an image of Ilsa laying dead on the floor. It was only there for a second before he forced it away taking a deep breath. He looked over at Eren and nudged him.

"We need to get Hanji to look at your hand," he whispered to him, "and I don't care what you say we are getting it fixed." Eren just shook his head and before he could protest I heard Jean's words echo through my head. "Don't make me tell Levi. I don't think he's noticed yet."

His hand? What happened to his hand. I tried to think back to last night to remember but I was so out of touch with reality I can barely remember talking to mom but everything else is just a giant blur. I hadn't noticed anything wrong with it but now that they mention it he has been heaping his hand out of my sight all day. Even now he's using the wrong hand to hold his fork while his dominant hand is hiding under the table.

I stayed focused on Jean's thoughts and saw exactly what I missed last night. As I was blacked out of my mind from shock Eren punched the wall. I never even noticed. I'm the shittiest boyfriend ever.

"Please don't," Eren whispered back to Jean. Finally, my powers snapped to Eren's thoughts.

Levi doesn't need the extra stress he's barely holding it together himself the last thing I need is him to worry about me. I mean as it is he's trying to take care of everyone I don't want to add any more to his plate. Eren turned his head to look at me and we locked eyes before I could avert my eyes.

His mouth opened and then closed again before I heard his thoughts ask me, how long have you been reading my thoughts.

"Long enough," I mumbled back. I stood up and walked back over to sit next to Eren who had lowered his eyes staring at the floor.