Chapter 19: You Win and I Lose

Valentina's photography studio - On the morning of Juliana's first match

"INES! DO YOU KNOW WHAT THIS LIGHT IS DOING HERE? I NEED THE LED LIGHT, I HAVE REPEATED THIS TWENTY TIMES. GEORGE! HOW LONG WILL IT TAKE FOR YOU TO BRING ME WHAT I ASKED FOR?"

Today was definitely not a good day to be an employee of Valentina Carvajal, she had been treating everyone badly for hours, trainees, assistants, technicians, publicists, models, representatives, no one was saved.

"There is a red flag and the sea is choppy." Inés announced softly to Lauren who had been entering her friend's workplace.

"What are the chances that it will change colour throughout the day?" Asked the Latina.

"Almost nil. Many possibilities of storm during the afternoon," answered Valentina's secretary in code.

"Approximate time of colour change?" Asked the Latina.

"From yesterday to this morning." Inés announced. They both watched as Valentina threw a photo in the face of a model and the young woman took off running towards the bathroom.

"Lauren try to do something please," the assistant begged her. "We still have many hours of work and she has all the staff petrified," she pointed around her. There was literally an intern sitting crying because Valentina had just called her useless.

"I will see what I can do. There is a reason that woman was captain of the cheerleading squad, you know!" The Latina knew what a bitch Valentina could be when she wanted. She went to the blonde, grabbed her arm and dragged her in to her office.

"WHAT THE HELL... LAUREN WHAT ARE YOU DOING? LET ME GO!" She complained, surprised by her friends appearance in the studio.

"Stop screaming!" Said the lawyer as they entered the office and closed the door. "Valentina I have known you since kindergarten, from the day we both made a child cry to get them off the swings, I know something is wrong with you, so c'mon tell me." Lauren pressed.

"My only problem is that I am surrounded by incompetent people. That is my problem... by the way, what are you doing here?" She asked trying to avoid the subject.

"First, I remind you that I am your legal advisor, I review all your contracts and therefore I knew that today the models would be rehearsing for Sport Illustrated, and I was not going to miss it for anything! And secondly, do not give me that 'nothings wrong' with you crap, I know your 'problem' has a first and last name: 'Juliana Valdés!'" Her friend said, using air quotation marks with her hands. "So I'm warning you V, start talking now or I'll be forced to call Camila. Do you want that? You know she'll get the words out of you, especially after telling you more about the little sea turtles." Lauren threatened.

"If you call Camila, I'll tell her what you are really doing here!" Valentina counterattacked making a mocking face.

"Hahaha, don't make me laugh. Camila knows! She told me to take lots of photos and to ask Irina Shayk to sign my chest!" The Latina explained casually. "You're not going to talk? Well you asked for it," she grabbed her cell phone and pressed speed dial number one.

"Cut that call right now!" Valentina tried to grab her cell phone but Lauren was faster.

"Hello Camzi Camz... wait for a second love..." she looked at Valentina, "have you changed your mind?" She asked the photographer.

"FINE, I'm fine, do not make Camila come here!" Valentina said angrily as she lifted her iPad and began searching for something.

"No love not yet... Yes, you can stay calm, I have the camera with me... Yes love, I remember, the left breast... Well yes, I'll see you later, I have to talk to Valentina now... I love you too." The call ended, and she waited for the blonde. "Okay? Start talking dumb blonde!" Lauren said.