Chapter 85. Ladies afternoon

Casa Valdés Carvajal

One week after the news of Gaby's pregnancy.

Valentina was working in her home study reviewing the contract from L'Oréal Paris, the cosmetics brand had requested her expertise to lead their new campaign, when frantic knocking on her front door startled her.

She smiled as she made her way through the house remembering her eldest daughters had gone shopping to buy new outfits for their 'date night' with their respective partners. She laughed when she thought of Juliana standing in the doorway, preventing her "little animals", from leaving to buy "short dresses and deviant makeup."

Valentina paused to look out into the garden where Juliana and Julie were playing quietly. It was the little wolf's caresses and huge eyelashes that had managed to calm her mother and allow her sisters go shopping. Well, Jules... and Valentina's whispered suggestion that they could rechristen every room in the house while their daughters were out on their date.

When she opened the door, she found the seething Latina. "Lauren? Are you okay?" she asked, noticing the foul mood radiating from her. Her attention turned to Tomy who was standing in front of his mother, the boy looked desperate to ask her something. "She's in the garden," Valentina told him, predicting the boy's question about Jules' whereabouts.

Tomy gave his aunt a kiss and ran off in that direction in search of his 'date' for the night.

As soon as the child was out of sight, Valentina looked at her friend. "Are you going to tell me what's going on, or do I have to get you drunk?" she asked impatiently.

"I fought with Camila and the girls!"

"What did you do now?" Valentina asked, immediately jumping to conclusions.

Lauren frowned. "Why do you always assume it was me? Maybe it was them!" she said angrily.

"Because... since we all learned about Gaby's pregnancy, both you and my hard-headed wife, will not leave the girls alone! You would lock them all in a cage if you could!" The blonde rolled her eyes when she saw Lauren's face, the 'Believe me, I've thought about it!' look. It was the same expression her wife had worn when Valentina had made the same observation. "Also..."

"You know what?" The Latina put up her hand to stop her. "I don't want to talk to you!" she said angrily. "Go and join my wife and daughters in the 'I hate Lauren' club'!"

"Okay... should I go for the gold membership?" The photographer joked, ignoring the face her friend made.

"You think you're funny, right?" The Latina asked sarcastically, not in the mood for her friend's jokes.

Valentina tried to hold in her laughter, waiting for Lauren to storm off so she could pick up the phone and call Camila.

"Where's the sweetie?" Since their altercation with 'the menace' Lauren and Juliana's relationship had become even stronger.

"In the garden," Valentina told her.

Lauren turned to leave but the blonde's hand on her arm stopped her. "Wait a minute..." Valentina ran off to get something, quickly returning with a rather large white hat with a wide black ribbon at the base. The Latina eyed it suspiciously. "You will need this for Ladies afternoon," she explained giving her the hat. "Now you can go," she said, pushing her gently towards the garden.

Lauren frowned, since when was her friend so worried about the sun? Plus, Lauren would never wear such a hideous hat. She stared at Valentina again wanting to protest but decided to take the stupid hat with her.