Chapter 99: Evelyn

Wed. 3/18/09 • 8:23 A.M. PST

I wake to the familiar sound of an engine purring, and the feeling of moving beneath where I lay on this... seat?

I don't even have to open my eyes to know where I am; I'm in one of Dane's trucks. I can just sense him beside me...

How the hell did I get here? The last things I remember... I was in Jena's room... trying to wake her up after Russ spilled the beans about Rob...

What happened to me? What happened to Jena? The baby? Why can't I remember anything?

"So you knew?" Dane's voice suddenly cuts through the silence in the car, apparently sensing that I'm awake himself. It's like some sick Scarman telepathy or something. "You knew about Jena and Rob? All along, Ev? Really?" 

I peel open my eyes for the bright sun shining through his windshield to immediately scold them. My brain throbs so painfully in my skull I could easily burst into tears!

I gather my strength to pull myself from the front seat until I can look into the back though, expecting to see Jena and her baby occupying the space that I find empty.

"Jena..." I mumble beneath my breath but still loud enough for him to hear me. "What did you do to Jena? To her baby?" 

More memory fragments of last night make their way to my mind as I question him. I couldn't wake Jena up... I tried again and again, screaming, crying, and begging her to wake up before Dane demanded I make my way to his truck... I told him to fuck off... and he punched the shit out of me... 

Maybe he knocked me out? Is that why I can't remember anything after that? 

Is that why I'm left panicking, wondering whether or not Dane ended both Jena and the baby after finding out about Rob? Why else wouldn't they be in this vehicle, headed to the same prison I'm sure I'm headed to?

"I asked you a fucking question," Dane says, his jaw clenched and knuckles white as he grips the steering wheel. "Did you... fucking... know?"

I know I have to answer him at some point, but still can't wrap my head around forming a response. My skin feels like it's on fire, and the acid in my stomach threatens to creep up my throat. 

He killed them... He killed them, and the only reason he's spared me so far is because he doesn't know if I was in on it... 

Dane suddenly slams his hands down forcefully on his steering wheel, my lack of response enough to send him immediately over the edge with rage. "Evelyn, answer me!" He yells, his voice so loud in the confined space of his truck. He momentarily peels his eyes from the road to glare at me, his eyes darker than I'd ever seen them in his fits of fury. "Did you know about them?! Did you fucking know?!" 

He's moments away from back handing me; I can see it in his face that it's his next plan of action if I don't give him an answer. 

Tears stream down my face without warning, the pressure of my emotions, worries, and Dane's anger sending me over the edge. 

Did I kill Jena? Did I kill her baby? 

Sure, Russ is the one who ultimately sold her out, but... I played a really big part in all of this too... 

"Are they dead, Dane?" I cry, my hands shaking as I try to wipe my tears from my cheeks. New ones quickly replace the ones I wipe, and I easily begin to hyperventilate. "Are you going to kill Rob too?"

I feel like I'm going to puke. Is it even worth it to try and lie about knowing when it'd only save me a life on this Earth without a single friend to share it with?

Jena, Rob and I have definitely had our ups and downs... but they're all I had at all...

Dane releases a hand from the wheel to grab me by my hair, and yank me toward the driver seat where he sits. He quickly readjusts his grip, lifts my head above the center console, and slams it down just as quick. 

And just like that? I'm out again... 

without a single answer that'd let me know whether or not I should be thankful for the escape...