Sneak Peek - Jenalyn: Stuck on Edge

Thank you for finishing Jenalyn: Disconnected, book #5 in the ‘Jenalyn’ series! I really hope you enjoyed it, and plan on continuing with the series! I love feedback, so feel free to comment and strike up some conversation about what you thought!

Here’s a sneak peak into the next book of the series!

Jenalyn: Stuck on Edge

Things have been so lonely and purposeless since the baby has been gone. 

Mama G informed me shortly after my visit to the hospital that it would be "in our best interests" to give her temporary guardianship over McKaiden for the time being. I wasn't going to argue with her after how she found me; She had every reason to be worried about McKaiden's safety after finding us left for dead in my bedroom. Sometimes I like to think everything that happened wasn't my fault, but...

It was

I should have been able to catch on to all of the signs that pointed toward betrayal. I shouldn't have allowed myself to think that things could be better for Hayden...

It's been 6 months.

6 months since I somehow managed to break my own heart, 6 months that I spent in fear of Dane showing up on my doorstep to finish what he started, and 6 months since I've had to deal with my new coping mechanisms for the post traumatic stress I've been hiding from my family. 

Needless to say, things haven't really been easy...

"Hayden! Are you ready for the last scene?" Remy Archire, the director of the latest movie I've been cast in asks over the loudspeaker. He pulls his phone from his pocket to impatiently tap for a few moments before continuing, his eyes scanning the massive set of stairs until he finds me. "It's the first scene of ths movie; It really has to resonate with the audience to make box office. You think you could get it, or should we take 5? Maybe 10?"

Remy is a pretty impatient man; The last three and a half months I've spent shooting different elements of his "masterpiece" have been pretty grueling. Between personal struggles, and the struggles I face as an actress working for a major producer in the industry? 

I'm surprised I've made it this far into the shooting process. Especially these past few days without any of my management team present...

"I- I think I can do it," I say, trying to brush off the pressure of the cast and crew around me to wear a mask of confidence. Remy can pick on me all he wants, but nobody else had a problem with my performance. "I just need to get in my zone. I thought you told me to-"

Remy cuts me off, hopping down from his directors chair to hurry up the stairs separating him from me. Zac, my co-star and love interest for the movie, takes the opportunity to separate from us to return to his original position for the shot. The extras disperse too, taking direction from their set manager until they end up just waiting around.

It's like they know...

"You think? Think? This far into the game? This is the last day of shooting, Hayden! And you think you got it?! Maybe we should take 10." Remy suggests as he makes it over to me, a familiar but disgusting smile spread across his lips. The rest of the crew, cast and technical, rush around us without making even the quickest of glances in our direction. "Why don't you meet me in my trailer, Goldie? Maybe I haven't explained what I'm looking for in this scene right. We'll take a breather, reassess, and finish off strong; What do you think?"