Chapter 40: Hayden

Thurs. 1/01/09 • 2:22 A.M. EST

Ty fell asleep a while ago, and Jena wouldn't let me forget my promise about getting together with Russell tonight to get into the snow he offered earlier. I was personally okay with calling it a night because I got into the rest of our bottle when we made it back to the suite around 12:40, but Jena wouldn't allow it.

It's just one time! She kept screaming in the back of my mind. I'm not going to keep doing it, it's celebratory! Nobody will even know!

I snuck off into the bathroom to text him; I couldn't take her screaming. I hoped he wasn't awake in the last moments I had control, but the moment he responded it was a wrap. Jena took me over.

Hayden: You still want to
meet up? I have about 30
mins or so... early flight
tomorrow.

Unknown: Yepp. You
want me to come to
you, or you to me?

The decision was obvious to Jena, though as I sat passenger in my own body I couldn't help the anxiety from rising to my chest. I still have my reservations about this guy... but Jena is right not to bring him here because of Ty, right?

No. I don't know; It doesn't matter anymore anyway, I have no say, and something about this guy is magnetizing her toward him.

Hayden: I'll go to you.
Room #?

Unknown: S1308. See
you soon.

That leads us to now. I stand by the door to our suit putting on sneakers and grabbing my purse, mace included thank God. Jena is excited, but I can't fight a feeling of dread from still making it's way to my stomach.

We swing open the front door, unable to stop a quick scream from escaping our lips as she does. Evelyn stands there, her eyes showing the surprise she feels in seeing me. Her eyes are swollen as if she'd been crying for hours, or is high. Her hair, damp with what looks to be sweat is tangled in a bun on the top of her head. She looks a mess!

"Jena!" she gasps, raising her hand to her chest. "How did you know I was out here! I was just about to leav-"

"I didn't!" I exclaim, letting out a breath I didn't know I held in. "What- what are you doing here? What happened?"

Evelyn looks as if she regrets ever having come back. I don't know if it's her pride, or if she needs the help that bad, but after a few moments she let's out a resigned sigh and raises her eyes to me. "I'm s-sorry about earlier..." she mumbles, struggling to keep her gaze on me. "I was being stupid, and I... I'm just sorry..."

Part of me wants to grow mad having seen how much it took out of her to apologize. She looks as of standing here with me right now is last thing she wanted. I can't find it in myself to do though. She just looks so... pitiful. I know I was mad at her earlier, but... she's still Evelyn. I can't just let her suffer...

"Are you okay, Ev?" I ask, reaching out to pull her inside. She backs away from me though, her eyes growing watery before she wipes it away and regains herself.

"Yeah! Yeah! I just... I don't know what's going to happen to me, and I wanted to tell you that-" she starts to say, cutting herself off when she jumps at the sound of the elevator doors sliding open.

We both watch as a man wearing a black nike jacket comes rushing out, spotting Evelyn, and barreling down the hallway. She looks terrified, glancing at me only once aside from glaring at him with her eyes wide.

"You forgot your phone, miss!" he pants when he makes it to us. He doesn't pay me any mind, focusing solely on Evelyn wearing an... odd smile. "I've been chasing and calling out to you for a minute! Haven't you been taught how rude that is?"

He shoves the phone into her hand. Evelyn still looks frightened despite the shock of this guy barreling down the hallway having worn off. She takes her phone, hands trembling, before the guy let's out a small laugh.

"I gotta tell my supervisor about this one..." he chuckles loud enough for us to hear, turning on one foot to head back to the elevator with an awkward strut. "He won't believe it!"

Evelyn looks relieved to see the guy leave. I immediately take the opportunity to question her on it, a weird feeling rising in my belly because of her demeanor.

"Who was that?" I ask, unable to keep the slight panic from lining my voice. "Are you okay, for real? Come in here. Talk to me."

Evelyn takes a moment to respond. She unlocks her phone, stares at her screen for a moment, and then let's out a deep sigh. "I'm okay, he was my... uber driver. I must have left my phone in his car... accidentally..." she mumbles, her voice weak and defeated. "Jena... can I please come to California with you? I- I can't live like this anymore..."

Her demeanor is still so odd. Is she high? She looks high... It wouldn't surprise me. Maybe I really should try to take her to California...

We can work on us together.

It's obvious I'm not going to go see Russell tonight or get involved in anything else, for that matter. Maybe the new year really is a chance for me to try to start again! I'll try to get clean with her! It shouldn't be too hard... I've just spent the past four months clean, afterall.

New year, new life!

McKaiden is McKaiden, there won't be too much pressure from Ty about how I'm putting strain on our relationship, the Golds are giving me more freedom despite my lack of deserving it...

Maybe I can make this all right!

"Come on," I tell her, successfully grabbing her this time and pulling her into my suite. "I'm sorry too, I love you Evy!"