Chapter 47: Evelyn

Wed. 1/07/09 • 10:16 P.M. PST

Who the hell did Jena think she was inviting that douche bag to "our" movie night tonight? She didn't even ask me how I felt about it; I thought this night was supposed to be for me?!

I try not to grow any more annoyed as I sit across from Jena in her massive living room, her nose buried in her phone with an odd smile spread across her lips. 

I know she's texting him. 

I wonder how Harper would feel if she knew Jena was inviting this guy over. She didn't seem too thrilled when she met up with us at Best Buy just as he and Jena parted ways!

There were a few short but weird conversations about it between her and Harper on the drive home. They were trying to be discreet, but I'm absolutely sure it was about Jena's inability to keep the right company, and the whore-ish things she constantly does. 

"Who was that?" "A friend." "What... kind of friend?" "Normal...?" "You know what I'm talking about!" "It's not like that." "Be careful who you interact with out here! People have bad intentions..." "Harper, chill."

I have half a mind to run and tell Harper about this right now! I know what's going to end up happening. Jena is going to fuck this dude tonight, that's the entire story, isn't it?

It always has been.

Jena would definitely kick me out if I did that though... and I already had one close-call today; I can't afford to risk it. I know Dane is keeping tabs on me somehow... and part of the deal was encouraging Jena to explore relations outside of her one with Tyler Robson. If I got booted over this? He'd think I was trying to go against his plan to... I don't know? Sabotage Jena's relationship with Ty?

I don't know what his master plan is! He never told me! I don't even know what I'm trying to fight anymore! All I know is... I have to sit here and let it all happen. 

It was better than my alternative...

My nose burns as the water forcefully rushes into it in a last attempt to get oxygen to my lungs. 

It's just water. I'm going to die here, at my own brother's hands, and I don't even know why! 

I already agreed to do whatever it is he wanted me to do! 

What are you supposed to think about as you die? I feel like all of the movies and TV shows I watch make it out to be a peaceful moment... a moment of self reflection and sudden clarity. 

I can't think about anything of that sort. All I can do, even in my inner dialogue, is scream and cry. Is it just going to... stop? 

Dane's forceful grip around my throat tightens. He can probably feel the life starting to leave my body; Stuff like that has always excited him. 

I knew I was going to die to cover for Jena... just like T, just like Sierra, just like Rob will... How did I let myself get so caught up in this? And what for? So Jena could go live out her dreams while leaving everyone else in the dust? 

She even stole the last thoughts I'll probably ever have...

Things are getting... slower... darker... I feel like I'm shrinking inside of my own body, getting smaller and smaller until... until I'm nothing...

I'm nothing.

I'm nothing, but suddenly... I feel something. 

Jerking? I'm choking! I'm choking up water, the cold liquid gurgling in my throat before a cough sends it surging from my throat like a geyser.