Chapter 59: Evelyn

Sun. 2/1/09 • 12:57 A.M. PST

I must have fallen asleep on the small sofa sitting beside the baby's bed. Jena wasn't even gone that long, and I was dying of boredom. I'm just so used to being alone anymore; Jena is always working, and when she's not? She's on the phone planning more work... 

Texting her new family and friends...

Too tired to do anything with me...

Being a mom...

This is not how I imagined things would be out here with her. I thought that I was going to be able to take part in the oh-so-fabulous life she has now. Instead? I get to sit here all day everyday twiddling my thumbs, waiting for her to possibly pay me any mind. 

And now I have Dane pulling strings to keep her away from me even more... I can't help but bitterly think as I pull myself from the sofa. 

I shouldn't be upset about it; If his end goal is to find out who fathered her baby by urging her away from Tyler? At least Russell is buying us a little time. I told him I wasn't sure when they met, but that they seem to have known eachother pretty well. Part of me hopes I can somehow convince Jena to play everything off like the baby is Russell's, just to take the heat off the whole situation with Rob. 

That would make things so much easier... for everybody; Jena, Rob, the baby, me...

It'd save all of our lives. If Dane ever found out that Rob was the father to her babies, he'd know for a fact that I had something to do with it... even if I wanted no part the entire time. 

The door bell to the house chimes, echoing throughout the seemingly endless hallways and walls that Jena has left me guarding. I'm reacting to it before I can even process that I am; I have no idea what to do if the baby wakes up! My first instinct is to ignore it though. The security system has been a bit glitchy since I got here. It's not the first time it has gone off for no reason. It doesn't usually last too long, and McKaiden seems unbothered so far.

I grab my phone, opening the app that allows me to monitor the baby room before making my way out to the hallway. I quicken my pace across the balcony once I realize the ringing won't stop.

Is it Jena? Did she change her mind? No way... she wouldn't be ringing her door bell like this knowing her baby is asleep! Plus, I have a cell phone! She could easily call!

This new house she has for herself is creepy all of the sudden. So many rooms... so many walls... such high ceilings...

I feel like I am in a horror movie. 

The walk down to her front door seems endless, the loud rining echoing throughout the house with every two steps I take. I hope to God this is just a glitch in her security system because I don't know what I would do if someone were actually standing at her door right now. I mean, nobody out here even knows I exist... how the hell would I explain opening her door at 1'o'clock in the morning? It would have to be someone in Jena's circle, if not her! Nobody else knows the code to the front gate! 

By the time I make it to the door, my brain is scattered in a million pieces. Between the incessant ringing of the bell, worries about the baby waking up from the noise, and the fear of opening the door to Karen fucking Gold... I can't even begin to straighten my thoughts out.

Taking a deep breath, I whip open the front door before whoever is out there can get another ring in. I can't take it! I feel like my head is going to explode! 

Every ounce of blood inside of me rushes down to my feet, seemingly gluing me in place although everything else inside of me tells me to run.

I wish it was Karen fucking Gold...