Chapter 56: Hayden

Sat. 1/31/09 • 10:29 P.M. PST

It took a bit of convincing before I could bring myself to allow Evelyn to watch the baby, but Russell's excitement in seeing me tonight kind of did most of the work for me. So... I've allowed it. Only under the stipulations that she call me at 12, a time I've grown to notice that McKaiden wakes up every night without fail, and any other time she wakes up until I get home tomorrow morning. And I'll know if she lies because I have the baby monitor from McKaiden's room hooked up to my phone. I could look in at any time and catch her in a lie. 

"You look fantastic tonight," Russell says as he pulls up at a stop light, using the moment to check me out. He has to be lying; I took my makeup off when I got home from work earlier, and didn't even bother to put it back on. 

"Thanks," I say anyway, trying to resist the blushing feeling that floods my cheeks. He probably can't even see me through the dark of the car, but continues to stare at me until the light changes green. 

I still can't believe this is the same car that pulled up beside us at Best Buy that fateful day a few weeks ago. What are the chances that we would even run into eachother again after New York? Maybe there's a reason it's so easy to connect with him. Maybe this was all... meant to be?

"So what do you want to do tonight, miss?" Russ asks after a second, turning to me only momentarily before his eyes find the road again. "I was thinking... the Hollywood sign? Mount Lee is pretty amazing. You can see the whole city!" 

I let out a small laugh before responding, very familiar with the Hollywood sign. "You know that's like... a first stop destination for anybody who comes out here, right?" I giggle. "I've seen it before! I thought you wanted to go to your place?"

Russ glances at me, his brow raised though he still holds a smile on his face. "Have you seen it with me though? That's kind of the point here, beautiful," he says as he turns back to the road. I can't help but stare at him as he maneuvers the still busy LA roads. I've grown to admire his scruffy appearance, and can't help a warm feeling from flooding my belly. "-and we will head to my house... just thought we could do some sight seeing first. You down?"

Right now, I feel like I'm down for anything with him... I nod my head, unable to keep the smile from my lips as I turn back to the road myself. 

It doesn't take long for us to reach his destination. I've never been here at night before, but find myself just as excited as I was the first time I did this. 

"Aren't we going to get in trouble?" I giggle as we exit his vehicle at the Bronson Canyon entrance of Griffith Park, both whispering though nobody could hear us if they tried. 

Russell meets me on the passenger side, his dark eyes aflame with excitement. "What's any good fun without the risk of trouble?" he asks with a wink before his eyes make their way to my shoes. 

I wore my favorite Jimmy Choo heels, a common factor in any of my "casual" outfits since becoming Hayden. Remembering the trek up to the sign from my first couple of visits, I understand the funny look he gives me before he busts out laughing. 

"It's a bit of a hike to the sign, beautiful..." he says, trying to hold back the laughter and failing. "I guess we didn't take that into considering when we decided we'd do this, huh?" 

I laugh with him, looking down to my own feet with a playful eyeroll as I respond. "I didn't know we'd be hiking tonight, Russell!" I exclaim. 

He nods his head, eyeing my shoes another time before raising his eyes to meet mine. "Take 'em off," he says, shrugging his shoulders. "I'll give you a piggy back ride. Free of charge!" he winks again.