14

It's been about a month now since I've talked to Nathan. And within this month it's been like living in a complete box. I don't know it's just not the same. He's what gets my day going I guess.

I stop watching Netflix and go down stairs to get a snack. I like chips ahoy but not the soft ones, they get tiring to eat after a while. I grab some cookies and milk and sit by the counter as I see my Ma walk in.

"Hey Maddie finish all your homework?" She asks as she takes a cookie and sits by me.

"Yeah all done, been watching Netflix all day." I laugh to myself thinking I have no life.

"Tell me about Nathan again."

That was random

"What about him?"

"Everything. You don't bring him up to me often but I know he must mean something."

"Well he's a good person."

"Madison I know more about him than you think. So choose your words wisely and tell me how you actually met him because chances are, I already know the answer."

She looks at me intensely but with a mix of fear in her eyes. Jeez why won't she stop bugging me about him?? But I know if I lie again I'll be in deep shit.
I swallow hard before answering.

"I met him online."

"Where?"

"The game."

She looks at me with annoyance and it bothers the hell out of me. So what if I met him on there? It shouldn't make a difference and she isn't one to judge because after the divorce I see she signed up on an online dating site.

"Madison you know that's not safe. I told you not to do things like th-"

"Ma I'm fine. He hasn't even hurt me nor has he asked me for anything I would be uncomfortable giving out. It's not that big of a deal."

"It's a huge deal what if he's a predator! Some sick guy on line searching for girls your age?!"

"Mom he's not like that! He's a student like I am and he isn't like every other man out there."

"How old is he."

"17"

"Don't lie to me Madison."

I sigh and sit back.

"He's 19."

"Heavens sake you told me he was in the same school as you. Didn't tell me he was in college or that he's older than you!"

"You give me no choice! God forbid I ever tell you about a guy you'll just freak out and shut it down! I'm 17 years old mom I'm not 4! He's only two years older than I am anyways why is it such a big deal??"

"Why are you defending him so much, you don't even know him."

"I know enough. And I'm not going to let you take away the one person that actually accepts me as I am. He makes me happy. I am happy. He's like no guy I have ever met before and hell I'm
In love with him. If you don't like it I'll take it elsewhere in respect of your wishes but please don't hate me for wanting happiness."

"You... You're in love..?"

"Ma I've never had feelings like these before. I'm finally happy and if this is just online, imagine in real life."

I look down at the table.

"I don't want you thinking your in love just because he makes you happy. There's a difference."

I push my self away from the counter and stand up.

"Well is it so wrong to be both? If it is then I don't mind not being right. If something as little as being happy is wrong, then I'll happily stay that way mother."

I clean up the counter and wash my cup as she keeps talking. At this point I blocked her out. I walk upstairs and sit in my room. Wondering to myself, exactly what love is...