27

My father and I haven't really spoken much since the divorce. Didn't really bother me since I was closer to my mother anyways. But every kid has a good cop and bad cop parent. In my case, my dad was the good cop.

I get the keys out and walk through my fathers house.

"Hey Pa what's up with you?" I say as I put my purse down and walk over to kiss his cheek.

"Everything's good Love, what brings you here?" He asks with a smile.

"Nothing, just gotta talk to you."

"Now if it's money you need I already sent it to your mother." he says chuckling.

"No dad, it's actually about a guy."

"Ah that's why you came to me."

He sits up in his chair and I look over at him.

"Yeah, she freaked out when I mentioned him."

"That's your mother for ya." he says and we both laugh.

"Who's the lucky guy?"

"His name is Nathan."

"Tell me about him."

I know I can tell my dad about him and not be afraid but it's still weird how I can't talk to my mom about these things. Isn't it supposed to be the other way around? My father hates the guys and my mom convinces him to let me be with him?

Apparently not.

I tell him about Nathan, his age, where he's from, and how we met. He not once interrupted me, he just listened.

"And he's a really nice guy, he makes me happy." I say as I look down.

"Well, you seem very happy Madison. I already like this boy."

We both smile and I offer to make us some lunch. He talks to me about his new girlfriend Catherine and asks me if I could tell Donavin and Emily about her.

The sun is setting and I hug my dad goodbye. It felt good talking to him
And not getting judged as my mother did. I have half approval. But my mom is definitely on the fence about this one. I'll try and bring him up again, hopefully she doesn't freak out.