Chapter 40.

Wataru stretched his legs and then his arms, feeling a little stiff all around his body, "Damn, what happened?" He looked around the conn-pod, only to find darkness.

"We are all bleeding out." Adaine said, "In order for us to talk, we are all in my head."

"What is she saying?" Teruo joined in, "Aw man, I can't feel my legs."

"Well we all got tossed through a city, I wouldn't doubt if some of the pilots are bleeding out... or dead."

"Why does that sound like it doesn't bother you?" Wataru asked.

"Because I'm pissed off! You guys are bleeding out and I'm trying not to cry.... everyone is going to die soon."

"So why are we in your head?"

"Like I said, we are bleeding out, this might be the last time we all talk." Adaine explained, "I'm trying to give us more time than we actually have."

"So we are going to die soon? That fucking sucks." Wataru tried to feel the place they were in becoming cold.

".... yes, but I'm going to perish before all of you will, I was impaled with a metal shard, it struck my throat, I'm trying to regenerate what I can but I have no strength to remove the shrapnel, so I'm stuck bleeding here."

"What's worse is that I'm still conscious and I feel Delta Wolf vibrating... something is coming toward us and I know Godzilla or Kiryu haven't reached us yet. So besides dying here, that thing from earlier is coming back to finish us off."

"Goddamnit, how did we let this happen?" Teruo yelled out, "That fucking crystal Godzilla thing wasn't even trying and it still tossed us away!"

"Yeah... I know, the situation sucks..." Adaine felt her grasp on the pilots begin to weaken, "I'm going to be gone soon... Wataru, Teruo... I wish I knew what to say..." The Xiliens body could no longer feel her surroundings, "I know we haven't known each other for long, but I do wish I had more time to spend with you humans. I feel like I could have enjoyed being among you humans for a little longer. Especially you Wataru."

"Well that sucks..." Teruo chuckled to himself.

"Shush, all of us aren't exactly good friends, but we could have been, if I wasn't so stubborn." Adaine let the pilots go, sensing her remaining moments were near, and she couldn't put Wataru through that.

The pilots opened their eyes, being brought back to reality, undoing the pain Adaine had been keeping them from feeling.

Wataru screamed before he slammed his jaws shut, enduring the pain of his broken arm and missing hand. He could barely move, only able to look at Teruo who shook with more fear than he could handle. His eyes never lost focus of the source of the vibration, trying to keep still while wanting to scream at his pain of his broken legs.

Wataru quickly disconnected himself form the jaeger, ensuring he fell onto his back to avoid the pain, but the shock remained, causing the pilot to yell out, feeling like he could scream the pain away.

Teruo tried to listen to his copilot, but too much fear had consumed him, he knew he was going to die, his best friend was going to die. He was foolish to think he could take charge and bring down that monster. They had survived, that was it, they weren't experienced like Gipsy Danger or Jet Jaguar.

Wataru bit down on his tongue, trying to concentrate on another source of pain as he realized Adaine was no longer in their heads. He looked to the back of the conn-pod, eyeing Adaine who slouched over with a stream of blood seeping into her shirt from her throat.

The pilot managed to stand up, limping over to Teruo; his copilot who was almost in a trance, ignoring his friend, "Hey man." Wataru nearly fell over, trying to keep his body upright but feeling dizzy. "Teruo!"