Chapter 56. A Short Break

Pentecost stared at the tv screens. All were just filled with his superiors, yelling and demanding answers. Statistics were required and the pilots were needed to answer their questions. He told them everything he could and was even filled in on the information that was still coming in.

The director dropped his head, closing his eyes for a moment.

He slowly breathed, inhaling calmly before exhaling at a steady pace. He did so again, inhaling through his nose and then exhaling from his mouth.

One of the staff members stepped up to the man, "Sir? Do you need anything?"

"I'm fine... I'm going to take a much-needed break," Pentecost tapped under his ear, "I won't be gone for long, but call me if anything urgent requires my attention."

The woman nodded, "I will sir."

Pentecost left the room, rubbing his head and stretching while making his way down the hall. He passed a window that revealed the interior of the Shatter-Dome, yet he kept his eyes on an elevator door.

He approached the door, letting six construction workers walk by with their equipment in hand. Pentecost pressed the button to the elevator, breathing in once again to fill his lungs. He held it in for five seconds before breathing out.

The elevator dinged, opening up as multiple staff and workers acknowledged the man. As they all exited, the last man inside held a box out to the director, "Would you like one, sir?"

Pentecost opened the box to the sudden scent of sweets; more specifically, strawberries. Inside the box were donuts, three vanilla glazed, three rows of three strawberry donuts with sprinkles, and on the right, three chocolate glazed donuts.

Pentecost couldn't deny they looked good, "Are these for anyone specific?"

"They are just for anyone who needs them. I figured this could be a small distraction from the fighting," the man smiled as he held out the box, "Plus you are the boss, even if these were for someone, I would still offer you a donut."

"Can I have three?"

"Sure thing," the man reached into his pocket and pulled out some napkins, "Choose your weapon."

Pentecost smirked, taking one of all flavors, "Thank you."

"No problem sir. Glad to help out," The man exited the elevator, allowing the doors to close.

The director pressed a button, feeling the elevator descending. He held the donuts by his side, yet that sweet smell still hung around. He smiled for a moment, straightening his back as he stood as he always had, with respect.

The elevator began to slow down until it came to a stop. Finally, the doors opened, leading Pentecost to an empty hallway. Rooms on both sides, and even one at the end of the hall, yet only a single room was occupied by a light shining through the door.

Pentecost held the donuts behind his back, walking over and knocking on the solid metal, echoing throughout the hallway.

He heard an exaggerated long sigh inside until the doors opened with Raleigh poking his head out, "Oh, Marshal."

The door was pulled open even more with Mako smiling, "Oh, hello."

Pentecost raised a brow to the pilots. He then held out the donuts, "I can either ask to come inside or bribe you with donuts."

Mako tapped Raleigh on the shoulder, "Go, put a shirt on."

Raleigh nodded, picking up a white shirt from his bed, and slid it on as Pentecost was welcomed into the room.