Chapter 70. Pointless

Newt waited at the corner of a hallway, calling out to survivors. Leading them toward an exit clear of the bloodshed.

At the entrance of this exit was Herman, helping those to freedom while they could only hope they weren't spotted.

Newton showed an engineer to the exit, looking back to the hall.

"Is that everyone?" Herman tried to ask under the alarm.

"I think thats as lucky as we are going to get," Newton swatted his hand toward Herman, "Go. You need the head start."

Herman waved his cane at his friend, "Come on Newton. Now's our time to leave."

Newton agreed, looking back one more time, peeking out into the hall. Except this time he spotted someone stumble into view. With his head held low, the person clang to the wall, trying to keep himself from falling over as he continued toward Newton, "Wait. Hold on there's someone coming!"

"Well get them and come on!" Herman responded, looking into the exit, almost contemplating leaving.

Newton ran over to the person, pulling his arm over his shoulder, "Come on. I gotcha!"

The person mumbled, trying to look to Newton, "I'm glad... I'm glad you are alright."

Newton recognized the voice, "Jay?" Newton tried to look at the pilots face, seeing blood dripping from his chin. "Jay, what happened?"

Jay pushed himself up, barely looking to Newt, almost causing the scientist to drop the pilots arm, seeing Jays right eye socket was hollowed out. Saliva and blood mixed into a nasty stain around the crater.

"Oh my god," Newton then noticed his shirt was absorbing blood from Jays' clothes. "We need to get you some medical attention! Come on, Herman is just around the corner."

Newton hurried, pulling Jay down the hall while he murmured.

As they nearly reached the corner, Newton heard heels against the floor. Footsteps following them.

Newton then felt a cold chill run up his spine as he stood up, seeing a shadow of a person from the emergency lights on the wall.

"...run... please run..." Jay looked to Newton with tears falling down his cheek, trying to push him forward.

Newton didn't want to move, hearing Jays words but his eyes were locked on the shadow on the wall, seeing it had grown two pairs of wings.

Newton felt Jays hand pushing him, forcing his friend to move.

The scientist wanted to leave, feeling his end was near. His muscles weren't moving, his legs were shaking, and the alarm couldn't hide the giggling coming from the monster behind him.

Newton took a step forward, hearing another footstep mimic his. He tried to keep his gaze looking straight ahead, barely able to see Jay out of the corner of his eye.

Herman waited, almost tapping at his leg with impatience, "Come on Newton-" he saw his friend step into view, almost in a trance, just keeping his eyes forward as he started to turn toward the exit.

Herman opened his mouth to express his concern, until he saw a monster following behind his friend.

Herman stumbled on his words, trying to find the right combination to speak, yet nothing came out. He shook, dropping his cane and falling back.

The winged creature broadly stood over Newton, just waiting for the human to do something drastic. It's eyes locked on him. It's grin snarling in response to his slow steps. Newton could feel her breathing down his neck through a growing wicked chuckle.