24. -Art & Fiat-

-Art-

He flips through the channels but I hardly notice.

My eyes stare past the television as a contemplate what a time out means.

I pout and hug his leg tighter.

"Baby?"

No answer.

"Baby?"

No answer.

"Fiat?"

"Yes Artist?"

I snap my head up at him.

"Why are you calling me that? My name is Baby, love, or Art for short!" I snap near hysterical.

"Not presently I'll address you by the name on your birth certificate."

I take a deep frustrated breath and pout aggressively at him.

"What is a time out?"

"A time out is loss of privileges you made clear to me that you take for granted. You take me for granted."

"I don't." I plead.

"You do. It occurs to me as of late that in my mind our contract is binding and in yours there is wiggle room."

"What do you mean?"

"In no circumstance is breaking up, leaving you, or letting you go a valid option to me. There is no breaking up in this life or the next. But that isn't the truth for you. You are very capable of breaking up with me and leaving me."

"That's ...not it."

"How isn't it? But the worst thing that really just cuts me to the core is, anyone but you in any circumstance is impossible. But as you have shown I can be replaced."

I bounce up onto my knees.

"No! That isn't the truth! I had a temporary lapse in judgement. So much sorrow I wasn't in my right mind. But I have NEVER liked anyone but you. Your statement isn't fair!" I say as my eyes water.

"Love isn't always fair. The way you have made me feel isn't fair. The way I made you feel isn't fair. It just is. We can only hope to grow, cope, and move past it."

"You're being too mean." I say as my tears escape.

He leans forward and takes hold of my face. He gently wipes away my tears.

"Why are you crying?"

"You're thinking bad things about me."

"No. I never could I love you too much."

"There can never be anyone else, believe me. I would have stopped it."

"You think?"

"I know. It just hurt so bad but I can't fathom being touched that way by anyone else."

"Promise?"

"I swear it."

He nods slowly at me.

"Do you believe me?"

"I'll try."

My heart sinks.

I wrap my arms around his waist and cry.

-Fiat-

I rub his head as he cries.