1. The New Rachel - Part One

A/N: Season Four! Who's here? 🚨👀

XXXX

XXXX

Letting her ankle boots click down the sidewalk of New York City's busy streets with Sonnet directly beside her, Kailani Hummel shifted her backpack up her shoulders and twirled her coffee back into her free hand as she listened to her cell phone ring.

"Good morning." She sang into the phone a second later, a slightly forced smile on her face as she tried not to let her disappointment show in her voice. "I'm super annoying. I know. This is my last call since I'm headed to class...Just wanted to tell you good luck on your first day with Mrs. Green!...I-I love you, Quinnie. Call me when you can! Miss you!"

Kailani sighed, clicking the end call button and letting her third call this morning go to voicemail. She slipped her phone in her pocket and took a long sip of her coffee, taking Sonnet's handle with her now free hand.

New York City has been an experience so far. Kailani kept her word to Quinn on avoiding the train when she could, taking the chance to walk or ride her razor scooter if she needed to go farther, or felt a little tired that day. She had explored the city that never slept truly as one of the night goers that could never fall asleep.

Midnight walks were beautiful. Perks of having a scary looking companion. 

Not when the only time she could really get on the phone with Quinn besides a few messages here and there around her pre-term activities and classes for the theater program she was enrolled in was at night. She called when she could, texted around that, but the blonde was right.

Kailani really wasn't used to Quinn not being there for her when she needed her.

But she wasn't alone, even if at most times Kailani felt lonely. She had Rachel in the big city and the two were able to bunk together after finding it hard to make do with their original roommates – Rachel's sex addict ex-roomie and Kailani's dog hating ex-roomie. They had about the same classes beside a few extracurriculars they had chosen to take on their own, as well as Kailani's adventures to the coffee shop twenty minutes away from her dorm to explore the one campus she probably shouldn't.

Columbia University.

Could you blame her? Columbia had been her dream school for years, so it only felt right to at least peek into what she would be missing out on. The students there seemed happy, not as miserable as she had hoped they would be, but Kailani was happy at NYADA.

Yup. Super happy.

Super happy. 

She loved every minute.

Who was she kidding? Kailani was holding onto Rachel and the strings she had tied to Lima as tight as possible to try and hold her fake smile in place long enough to make it into her bed to quietly cry at three am when her friend was out doing her nightly routine. If she wasn't in bed crying herself to sleep over how much she missed her twin brother, her dad, Carole, Finn, her friends, her kids, Quinn...Kailani was exploring New York City under the stars.