{7} Best Friend | Sep 23, 2022

A/n: For the record, I do consider hell as a swear word, so like sometimes if I put like 'trigger warning, swearing' it might not actually have like 'proper' swear words in it. Idk, just thought you should know haha. Enjoyyy!!!

###########################

Italics is thoughts

###########################

TW: Swearing

###########################

I was on my phone, scrolling through Youtube shorts since I finished everything I was supposed to do. All of the homework. All of the homework my mom gave me. Practising piano. And now, as I am bored out of my mind, I curled up in bed, possibly ruining my eyesight by the amount of time I spent on my phone.

I could hear the heavy rain crashing onto the pavement, lightning flashing ever so often as the thunder roared loudly. Suddenly, the familiar ringtone of my best friend, Jenson, calling me filled my ears. A smile spread onto my face. He and I have been best friends since sixth grade, and now we're in senior year.

You see, Jenson is a pretty outgoing person. He has a lot of friends and has dated multiple people over the years. I, on the other hand, am the complete opposite. When we were thirteen, he told me that he had a crush on me, and out of panic, I rejected him. Though, I later realised how much of a mistake that was, since I've had feelings for him all along. But being too shy to say so, I kept it to myself.

"Hi," I cheerily greeted him, happy to hear his voice. "Hey," The boy replied, his voice sadder than usual. "What's wrong?" I asked, my face immediately dropping. "Nothing, nothing. I'm just happy to... hear your voice, Karrie." Jenson stated, chuckling a bit after saying that. "No, seriously, what's wrong?"

I heard a sigh from the phone before he finally said, "Bella and I broke up." I widened my eyes in shock. Bella and Jenson were the couple of the school. Everyone wanted to be like them. They were so happy and in love. What happened? "Oh, I'm sorry." I said softly, not entirely sure how to answer. "How are you doing, Jens?" I then asked.

"Fine, I guess." Jenson replied in a low voice. "Do you want me to come over?" I quizzed, "I can bring popcorn." I offered, while he chuckled. "No, it's fine." Jens responded. "Okay. Well if you do need anything, just text me." I offered. "Of course. I wouldn't go to anyone else." He answered, while I smiled slightly.

"Well do you need anything else?" I then quizzed, wanting to find any way to support him. "Not really. But I did want to tell you something." The boy declared, while I nodded, even though I knew he couldn't see it. "There-- there's a reason why I broke up with Bella." Jenson claimed, as I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion. "And what is that?" I questioned.

"I-- I like another person better. Actually, scratch that. I love another person. And I just felt it was... wrong to still be with Bella." I felt my heart break a little at his words. I know, I was being selfish. And I know, I was the one who rejected him. But I can't help having feelings for him. As much as I wanted to deny it, I am absolutely in love with Jenson.

"Well, uhm, do I know her? Maybe I can help--" He cut me off. "No, no, you can't exactly do that." I furrowed my eyebrows at Jenson's statement. "It's something I have to do myself." All of a sudden, the doorbell rang. "Hold on a second, someone's at the door." I cut the call, going down the stairs to get the door.

Weird I thought, Mom usually doesn't come home this early. After my mom and dad got divorced, mom had to work two jobs to support everything, leading to her arriving home very late every night. Swinging the door open, a boy with buzzed black hair and eyes so dark it could almost be black was revealed. Jenson.

Water was dripping down his face as his clothes were soaked. "Oh God, come in, come in." I exclaimed, ushering him into the house, quickly going to grab him a towel. "What the hell were you thinking, dude?! Least you could've done was get an umbrella." I scolded him, while Jens just rolled his eyes.

"I was in a rush, didn't have time." He simply responded. "A rush to do what?" I quizzed. "This--" He cut himself off as he grabbed the back of my neck, pulling me into a kiss. I was shocked at first, but eventually kissed back. As if I never rejected him in the first place. As if I never stayed up late at night, giving him advice on his relationships, while my heart is breaking on the other side of the phone.

After pulling away, Jenson gazed into my green eyes, putting a few strands of my dyed black hair behind my left ear. "You're the one I love, Karrie. You're the one I will always love. I knew it that day when I confessed at lunch. And even if we were young, and we still are, I always knew." Jenson rambled, me looking into his really dark brown eyes.

"And I don't care if you don't love me back. I don't care if this might ruin your thoughts of me being your best friend, but I had to tell you. Because-- what's the point of living the rest of my life with a random girl when I can have the chance to be with you?" The boy with buzzed hair continued saying, sighing in relief, as if this confession spread like wildfire around his head, and he finally put it out.

"Please say something." Jenson then murmured as I stayed silent from surprise. "I love you too. Always knew." I breathed out, pulling him down as our lips crashed into each other once again. "I guess the 'best friend' label won't work anymore." Jens stated after pulling away. "You will always be my best friend. Just along with 'love of my life' now." I replied.

Jenson's smile spread wide on his face, his dimples showing. And I smiled back. My real smile. I never thought Jenson would like me again, let alone love me. But finding your soulmate has to start somewhere. Mine just started with 'middle school best friend'.

1028 words

###########################