{87} Birthday | Jan 9, 2023

A/n: Yes, Jessie Paege is amazing. Yes Melanie Martinez is amazing. And yes you should go listen to the both of them. Enjoyy!

###########################

Italics is flashbacks

###########################

Alone I sat in my room; once again.

A slice of chocolate cake stood in front of me as I stared down at it, my shaky hand gripping onto a fork.

"Y'know? This has been the worst day of my life!" My dad shouted out, his face red with anger. "I came home from a business trip, and I had to wait outside for you to buy a cake. Sweating from the heat-- do you know how selfish you are? Making everyone wait on a day that's not even that special."

Another birthday by myself. I mean, how could I expect different? It's not like I'm turning thirteen or anything-- just another normal day.

"You should've just bought the first cake you saw. Look-- your dad is now angry, and it's all your fault. You're so self-centred! Have you ever thought about anyone that's not yourself?" My mom yelled out, her eyes wide in frustration as she quickly followed my dad out of the house.

My lips were as thin as a line, my eyes were droopy and sad. "I just wanted to celebrate my birthday." I whispered to myself, my voice soft and quiet.

I took one bite of the cake, looking into the distance from my window. "Happy birthday to me." I then murmured, my voice wispy.

So I sat alone in my room-- like I've always been.

230 words

###########################

This did actually happen on my birthday back at June. I still talked to my dad, but our relationship wasn't that good. He came home from another one of his month long business trips, and when I went to pick out my cake, he got mad at how long I took. Then my mom also got mad because my dad was mad, and I ended up eating cake alone in my bedroom.