{8} Text Message | Sep 23, 2022

A/n: For the record, the line (which you'll see later in the story) just means there's a time skip. Enjoyy!!!!

###########################

Italics is texting

###########################

TW: Swearing and alcohol

###########################

I walked through a field late at night. I lived in the countryside, where there weren't streetlights, meaning the stars shone just as bright as the moon, the beauty of the sky completely mesmerising me. My dad and I used to go on late night walks whenever I couldn't sleep, and that just became a nightly thing. Though, after he died, I decided to still do the walks, wanting to keep some sort of memory that we had alive.

As I was walking through the grassy fields, silhouettes of pretty flowers and big trees surrounding me, the autumn wind blowing through my dyed blue hair, I heard a notification go off. I got my phone out of my jacket pocket, seeing that I received a text from an unknown number.

Hey darling it said. I furrowed my eyebrows, completely confused on who this may be. Who is this? I replied as the other person started typing. Oh sorry, wrong number the person wrote back. Usually, I would've just left it at that and continued what I was doing, but that night, I felt an extra bit of confidence, leading to me writing, Wait, I wanna be your darling.

That led to the person then responding with In another life maybe :). I chuckled at the response, putting my phone away as I walked through the field, enjoying the midnight breeze.

—————————————

After graduating high school, I moved to the city for college. Leaving my mom was hard, seeing as we were the only ones there for each other when I was growing up. But people from our town never really get such good opportunities like this, so she and I decided that it was best for me to go to college.

Though, that was months ago. And even if I'm in a city now, I still did my usual night time walks. As I strolled through the empty streets, I heard muffled sobs nearby. I followed the sound, eventually arriving at an alleyway. Sat on the floor was a figure of what I would believe is a boy, curled up into a ball while the fog mostly covered him.

I slowly walked over to him, taking cautious steps just in case he wasn't who he seemed to be. "Hey, are you ok?" I asked, trying to sound as soothing as I could. The boy snapped his head up, his glossy grey eyes wide from shock. The boy seemed to be around my age with blonde hair in an almost sand-like color. He quickly wiped his tears away, turning his head the other way so I couldn't see his face.

"Yeah, yeah, I'm fine." The boy replied, his voice cracking slightly. I decided to sit next to him, ignoring the fact that the ground was slightly wet from the rain this morning. "I know we don't know each other, but you can talk to me. I mean, we'll probably never see each other again." I declared, the gaze from my dark brown eyes soft.

"Uhm, well--" He sniffled, then continued saying, "My girlfriend, who I've been dating since I was fourteen, broke up with me. She was the only person who really understood me. And because we're going to college now, she thought it was best to go our own ways since she didn't want to risk it with long-term."