{25} Love Story | Oct 3, 2022

Italics is thoughts

###########################

TW: Swearing

###########################

"Hey! I'm Sahar. I'm, uhh, new here." A girl greeted me in a cheery voice, sitting next to me at the cafeteria table. She had long, curly black hair and dark, chocolate brown eyes. Her skin was in a burnt almond shade and she wore round, black glasses. "Hi." I mumbled back, not really one to talk to people, "I'm Kara." I then murmured.

"So, how is sixth grade for you so far?" I asked, breaking the awkward silence. "Honestly, it's not that bad. People always say being eleven sucks, but nothing bad has happened yet. But we'll see. How long have you been in this school?" Sahar questioned, eating a bit of her food. "Since third grade." I replied, starting to talk louder.

After that, our conversations only got more intriguing; and soon enough, we became the best of friends.

—————————————

"Hi Kara!" Sahar exclaimed, running up to me, wrapping her arms around me. "Hi, uhm, you can let go now." I muttered, slightly pushing her away. "I still don't understand why you don't like hugs." Sahar spoke, laughing.

We walked around the mall, hanging out like we usually do; her finding all kinds of things she wants to buy, me continuing to ask where we are going to eat. And then, it was night time. Not super late since Sahar's strict parents wouldn't allow her to stay out that late. We sat on a swinging bench, which was located on a small field outside of the mall.

We swung on it while the evening breeze blew through my pixie-cut brunette hair and her luscious black locks, and we just talked about all kinds of stuff. Eventually, the topic changed to people we like at school. "Are you sure you don't like Arthur? Because I'm positive he likes you." Sahar stated, me immediately shaking my head. "He is not my type, like at all." I argued, laughing at the smug look that masked her face.

"Fine, then who do you like?" The raven haired girl quizzed, taking a sip of her caramel frappe. "Uhm--" I croaked out, considering whether or not I should tell her. "Who's the lucky boy?" She asked again. I stayed silent for a while more. Should I tell her? I thought to myself. Should I tell her that the 'lucky boy' is a girl?

"I actually do like someone--" I said, looking down at my feet. Immediately, I felt her grab both of my shoulders, squealing out in excitement. "Oh my God, who is it!?" She practically screamed out. "Uhm, it's... Zaria." I finally spoke, my voice barely above a whisper. "Uhm, Zaria, like the captain of the middle school cheer team Zaria?" I nodded nervously.

"Well that's cool. I didn't know you liked girls." Sahar stated, smiling at me. "W-- well I actually like both girls... and boys." I responded. "Hmm, well since you're telling me, I'll tell you too; I like both girls and boys too." Her words made my lips curl up into a wide grin. "Really?" I quizzed, shock laced in my voice. "Yeah. Y'know Anna, Jimmy's ex? I had the biggest crush on her last year."

After that conversation, we got closer than ever. We became inseparable. We became a new level of best friends that neither of us thought we were capable of.

—————————————

Usually, people would actually be asleep at two in the morning, especially if it was a school night; but in sixteen year old me's brain, sleep was useless and that it was a waste of life. As I was mid-chapter in a book, I heard my phone buzzing. With confusion masked on my face, I reached over to my phone. It was Sahar calling.