Part Ninety-Eight

🎵 Champion - Bishop Briggs 🎵

We flew straight from Las Vegas to Abu Dhabi on the Monday morning with the team and after landing in Abu Dhabi in the evening everything went crazy. We had so much content to fit in the race weekend started on the Tuesday right up to about an hour before the race on Sunday. We hadn't had a moment to breathe.

Both our families had flown out to join us and get to know each other. We'd hardly been able to see them but it was nice to know they were here. We were planning on spending a few days together after the race weekend.

I sat in Daniels drivers room and watched as he and Michael started to prepare for the final race. "You just have to get as many points as you can" I assured him

"And hope-" Daniel added

"Don't even say it" Michael interrupted "the goal isn't to hope some else's race goes wrong it's to make sure yours goes right"

I looked at him and smiled. 'And hope' i mouthed.

Daniel would be starting in P3 behind Max in P2 and Lewis in P1 and he had Charles and George behind in P4 and P5. It was going to be another battle for the podium.

We headed out to the pits and Daniel kissed me on the cheek and placed two kisses on my bump. "Drive safe baby" I whispered and pulled him for a kiss on the lips "and go get that world championship." I smirked and let him go.

We'd agreed for me not to go to the grid this weekend as there had been such a crowd Daniel was worried about me being pushed or knocked. I didn't really see the issue but I didn't want to put any extra stress on him. I watched on the screens as they did their formation lap and they lined up on the grid. I waited while they did the national anthem and watched them climb into the cars. All our family members except Grace and Joe had decided to watch from the paddock club so that they could all be together. I gave Christian a thumbs up as he sat down on the pit wall and we watched as the lights went out.

As we guessed it was a crazy start, the middle of the grid had got themselves into a mess at the start meaning Lando, Pierre and Alex had to come straight back in on lap one for new tyres and new front wings. Esteban had too much damage and had to retire the car, he made it back under the yellow flag so the race continued on. Daniel was struggling to make a move as Max and Lewis were fighting so hard with each other.

'And that's a collision up the front. Is that max and Lewis's again. Yes!! they've completely destroyed each other and their chances for that world championship. They've collided at turn 14, I think that is going to be a red flag.'

Daniel had just managed to escape any damage or get wrapped up in the collision. He had picked up some debris but it didn't seem to be affecting his race.

They pulled in for the red flag and he stayed with me in the garage waiting for it to start again. He sat down on a stool and rested his head on the bump while I played with the curls on his head. I knew the camera would be eating this up but I didn't care. If it was working for him, that's all that mattered. He wasn't listening to his music, he was whispering to himself. I couldn't even get what he was saying.

The race restarted and we all watched holding our breath for every single corner. He pulled in for a late pit stop and so did Charles, we held our breath as the wheel got stuck and Daniel pulled out after Charles. They continued to battle right till the end and he crossed the checkered flag in second place. Granting him enough points to be the winner of the world championship. The noise in the red bull garage were louder than anything I'd ever experienced. I felt Michaels arms wrap me into an embrace from behind as tears started to roll down my face. I held my hands over my bump and felt them kicking and rolling around inside. I turned to Grace who was crying, full tears. We hugged immediately, all the while screaming and cheering was happening in and outside the garage, everyone, not just Red Bull, was clapping Daniel, the whole pit lane. Michael, Blake and I went out to where the cars would soon be coming in, this was once in a lifetime and the atmosphere was electric.