Chapter 18

I go back to Kenny and smile.

"What did he want?"

"He just told me I can stop playing dress up. I told him I wasn't going to stop and that this is just who I am now. He wasn't as upset by it as I had imagined."

"Well, that's good. Do you want to head to class with me?"

"Yes."

We walk side by side through the hallway. I want to grab his hand again but he might not like it...

-

During lunch, everyone is gathered in the middle of the hallway. I approach to see what's going on but as soon as they see me they all start whispering.

I do my best to ignore the stares and push to the middle of the crowd. Eric Cartman is standing in the middle, showing everyone his phone.

"See? Here they are side by side! Same person! I'm seriously! He has been playing dress up this whole time."

I step forward, "Cartman?"

"Perfect timing! I was just telling everyone about your true identity. Now they will believe me."

He steps closer and pulls my hair, hard. My wig comes off and I hear gasps all around me.

"See! It was just Butters!"

I spin around slowly. Everyone is looking at me.

"Butters is who I used to be. I'm Marjorine now. I'm a girl inside. I'm just making the outside match the inside. I am transgender." I do my best to stay calm. Keeping my voice level.

There's a silence. Everyone states at me, evaluating.

Eric breaks the silence. "Stop being a fag Butters."

"I'm not. I'm just not like you and it scares you."

"What scares me is the fact you think you can pretend to be a girl. Just give up now. The whole school knows. Just look at how they are all looking at you."

I turn to see confused faces, some even look disgusted.

"I can't believe I got tricked into liking another dude." One of the boys says.

"I'm a girl! Really!" I yell over the crowd.

But no one was listening. It's like I was in a dark ocean. Everyone around me was saying things but I couldn't hear any words. Just noise.

"I swear... I..." I begin to cry. I can't stop the tears and I can't escape. I'm surrounded.

I bend my knees and curl into a ball, holding my head in my hands.

"Just stop..."

It's so loud.

Two sets of footsteps. I can hear two people running. I look up to see Karen and Kenny. Thank god. People who believe me.

Karen stops where I'm crouched down. "We are here now, Marjorine. Everything is gonna be okay."

I look up at her. "Thank you."

A loud thud comes from behind me. I turn around to see Eric on the floor, Kenny jumps on him and starts punching his face.

I stand up "Kenny, stop!"

Me and Karen run over to him and pull him off of Eric.

He resists, "Let me beat the shit out of him!!"