Book 2 Chapter 4

I wake up early to drive Karen to school.

Before I leave I give Kenny a kiss on the forehead. "I'll see you at school, Kenny."

He sleepily, and cutely, replies. "Okay... I love you..."

"I love you too."

Karen and I get in the car and start driving.

"Karen? Are you feeling better? You and Kenny both seemed really down yesterday."

"I'm feeling a little better now that I got it off my chest, thank you."

"Not a problem."

"Hey, Marjorine... are you busy on Friday? The new Barbie movie comes out then and it could be fun to go together... we could wear matching pink outfits..?"

"Oh, I'd love to but I'm already going to the movies with Kenny."

"He is taking you to see Barbie?"

I laugh, "no, but that would be funny. He's taking me to see Openheimer. It's a movie about how the first nuclear bomb was made or something. I don't really know but Kenny is excited about it and it's cute."

"Oh..."

"We can go another time, yeah?"

"I guess..."

"What's wrong?"

"It's not fair... I liked you first but Kenny got you..."

"Oh, Karen. You're adorable... don't worry. You and Kenny like me in very different ways."

"Right... he loves you and we're just friends..."

"Don't sound so sad. You're my best friend, I wouldn't have made it this far without you. I love you, Karen."

"... I love you too... maybe even more than th..." she mumbles at the end of her sentence so I don't quite catch it.

We arrive at the high school. I walk with Karen inside, it's nice to see old teachers, as long as I avoid my old homeroom teacher, he was the worst.

A girl with pigtails just like Karen's runs up to us. "Karen! You're here early!"

Karen smiles. "Yeah, I had Marjorine drive me."

The girl looks at me. "So this is the famous Marjorine you were talking about. Hi, my name is Tricia."

I smile at her. "Hey. It's nice to meet you. Are you a friend of Karen's?"

"Yep! One if the only ones. The other kids in class don't like us for some reason."

"Oh, well thank you for being friends with her!"

Karen turns to me. "Do you have to leave now?"

"Yeah, I'll see you at home, okay?"

"Okay!"

I start to walk away, before I get through the doors, I turn around. Karen is laughing with this Tricia girl...

That's when it hit me. Karen said she liked another girl from her school, that must be her!

Aww... that's so cute... I hope it works out... they would be so cute together.