Book 2 Chapter 50

My phone rings in my pocket. The loud noise makes both Kenny and I groan.

"A call this early?" Kenny rests his head back on the couch.

"...it's your sister. Karen's calling me."

"What? Why?"

"I dunno..." I answer the phone. "Karen?"

"Marjorine! Thank god you picked up!"

"What's wrong?"

"You need to delete your Instagram story! I'm serious."

"My instagram story?"

"I'm not surprised you don't remember but I don't have time to explain. That is public and everyone is starting to wake up so you need to delete it as soon as I hang up. Promise you will. It's for your safety."

"Ok, I will-"

She hangs up immediately.

"Weird..." I open Instagram.

"Is she okay?"

"Yeah. She just told me to delete my instagram story..."

"Oh god. What did we post?" Kenny sighs.

He looks over my shoulder as I tap on my story.

"Woohooo!" I'm waving an empty bottle of vodka in the air. "Gueeeessss who's partying!"

Kenny is slumped over the top of the couch. "We are!"

"We are rich now so don't talk to us. We won the lottery and have all the money in the world!!!"

The next few slides are videos of me and Kenny embarrassing ourselves. Without a word I quickly delete all of the slides.

Kenny leans back and closes his eyes. "Jesus... did I post anything?"

"Doesn't look like it..."

"Wait..."

"Wait....."

Kenny and I trade looks of shock.

"The lottery!" I quickly scroll through my messages. "I'm supposed to meet with my dad to get a share of the money!"

"Oh yeah! God I completely forgot about that."

I find the text from my mother. "It says to meet at the coffee shop at noon..."

"Mar, it's 11:45."

"Oh."

Kenny and I both fight through the pain of our hangovers to get ready to leave.

"Will you come with?" I ask as he changes his shirt.

"I don't know... he might not want the guy who blinded him to be around."

"Right... okay."

"I'll still drop you off though."

"Thank you, honey..."

We hurry to his car and he drives me a few blocks down to the coffee shop.

I step out of the car. "I'll text you."

"Got it. Love you."

"Love you too."

I take a deep breath. I haven't seen my dad in about a year. My hand trembles as it hovers above the handle to the glass shop door.

"You can do this, Mar..."