Book 2 Chapter 25

It's really cold outside so I throw on some light wash skinny jeans and a blue sweater. I also put on my fuzzy white earmuffs so my ears don't freeze off.

The celebration starts at 9pm. I end up getting there around 10pm. The park is lively with people all laughing and dancing. They all look so happy.

Most of the other girls are wearing shiny or glittery outfits... maybe I dressed inappropriately for the occasion...

I sit on a bench near the outskirts of the park and just watch everyone. I wish I had someone to talk with...

I get myself some cotton candy and eat on the bench. It's nice to be around people, even if I am just watching.

Midnight draws nearer and the air gets colder, making me shiver.

One minute until the new year.

When I see that there's only one minute left I start to feel a sense of sadness.

I don't want to be alone.

I don't want to go into the new year alone.

In a panic I start looking around for anyone I might know, even just someone from school. Just someone I can be next to and say happy new year to.

None of these faces look familiar. I don't recognize anyone.

I push through the crowed and continue my search. I must look absolutely lost right now.

I see someone bundled up in a bright orange coat. The only person who would wear something like that is Kenny.

I walk slowly towards him.

He turns and I can see his face. It's him.

We just fought... of all people for me to find...

But I don't know anyone else...

And I don't want to be alone...

He may be the last person I want to see, but it doesn't matter.

I can't be alone for this. I've never been alone for the count down.

I push through the crowd quickly as the countdown begins.

10...9...8...7

Almost there...

6...5...4...3...2...

I reach out to tap his shoulder.

1

"HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!"

Fireworks erupt around us.

My hand doesn't make it to Kenny. He steps away just before I can tap him.

He's smiling, he's genuinely happy about something.

A blonde haired girl puts her hands on his face and he wraps his around her waist.

He continues to smile as he leans in and kisses her.

"Happy new year, baby..." he says quietly to her, just loud enough for me to hear.

He's smiling.

He's happy.

He's in love, isn't he?