Chapter 51

"Mar! Wake up!"

I open my eyes slightly to see Kenny shaking me, then I slip back into darkness.

I don't know what's happening, it's dark, but I can hear voices. I wish I could hear what they are saying...

-

I wake up in Kenny's room. It's dark, but not too dark. It feels like the lights are on, but I just can't see them. Which I assume isn't a good sign.

"Mar? Are you awake?"

It's Kenny's voice.

"Kenny? Are you there?"

"Mar, you're looking right at me, silly."

What? I can't see him. Is he really there? Am I even awake?

I reach out to the darkness. It is Kenny, I can feel his coat, and his face. 

"Are you feeling okay, Marjorine?"

That was Karen. She sounds close.

"Where are you guys..?"

"Right here."

I can't see...

I feel around for Kenny's hand, then I grab it. I know he's there, that's all that matters.

"Hey, I can't see anything."

"What?"

"I mean, I hear you guys, I feel your hand, but I can't see you guys. I can kinda see the room, but not you guys. Can you turn the light on?"

"The light is on... And the window is open..."

"Oh..."

I open my eyes as wide as I can. 

Nothing.

I can barely see.

I hear them shift around, I think one of them just sat next to my feet.

"Which one of you am I holding? And who's at my feet?"

"I'm at your feet..." It's Karen, is she crying? What's wrong?

"What happened?"

Kenny squeezes my hand. "We are in my room right now. Your dad knocked you out and we took you here."

Karen shifts around, "Kenny... If she really can't see, shouldn't we take her to the hospital?"

"We can't afford a hospital..."

I still have that card my mom gave me... I reach into my pocket and take out my wallet, then I feel around for the envelope.

Kenny takes the envelope I hold out, "What this?"

"My mom gave it to me before I left. It's a card. She said it has 15,000 dollars on it."

"Then, do you want to go to a hospital?"

"Yeah, that's probably a good idea."

"Why are you being so calm? Anyone would freak out if they couldn't see."

That's a good question... I don't feel scared at all...

"I don't know. But we should go. I would prefer to see."

"Okay. I'm gonna carry you to the car. Can you try to hold on to me?"

"Yeah."

He lifts me up and I feel around for his neck, wrapping around it as he carries me through the house.

"Wait..."

"What?"

"How do I look?"

"Oh, the same as you did when you left your house."

"Can someone get my wig?"

Karen says she will, and I hear footsteps walking away. Everything is weird. I should be scared that I can't see, I should be happy that Karen is getting my wig. But there's nothing. I can't feel anything. 

My head hurts...