Book 2 Chapter 43

Kenny taps the cigarette to break off the ashes. "Can you talk to me next time something happens instead of just... leaving?"

"I can. I promise."

He puts out the cigarette by pushing it against the wall. He leans over to me and takes my face into his hand.

"Are you actually going to do it this time?" I tease.

He smiles. "Shut up." His lips finally meet mine.

I don't breathe for about ten seconds. He took my breath away.

He shifts forward, pushing me onto my back in the grass. He holds himself just above me by leaning on his forearms as we continue to make out.

The sun finally sets.

"Mmm..." I wrap my arms around him.

He continues kissing me over and over, as if he is making up for lost time.

His free hand holds my waist. "Mar... I lo-"

"Ahem!"

Kenny looks up and his face turns bright red. "Karen..."

We both hurry to compose ourselves.

Karen sighs. "You were out here for so long I got worried so I came to check on you. I assume you two made up and are back together?"

We both nod.

"Good. Save the physical intimacy for AFTER dinner."

"Sorry..." Kenny looks at the ground as if he is being scolded.

We all go in and eat dinner. It's slightly awkward after what just happened, but as time goes on the mood lightens.

I check my phone. "It's late, I'm going to get home. I'll see you tomorrow for the study group, Kenny."

Kenny gives me a quick kiss before I leave. "Get home safe."

-

Just like last time, I'm the second person to arrive to the study group. Bebe put up a bunch of poster boards outlining how we can connect and present our cases.

"Marjorine! Early again I see." She smiles.

"Hey, Bebe. You did all this?"

"Yep! Just between you and me, I want us to finish this as soon as possible. I don't think any of us want to spend any more time with Bradley than we have to."

"I know why me and Kenny don't like him, but why don't you?"

She sighs. "He was an asshole on day one. He's so hostile toward you and it's uncomfortable. I just want him far away from you."

"That's so sweet... I didn't think you'd notice..."

"I pick up on things easily."

That must be why she was able to figure out Kenny still loved me while she was with him.

I sit down and wait for the others to arrive.

When Bradley gets here, he sits as far from me as possible, again.

"Hey, Bebe." Kenny closes the door behind him.

"Hey, Kenny."

Kenny stands behind me. "Hello, Mar." he kisses the top of my head as soon as Bradley looks over at us.

That had to be deliberate.