Chapter 55

"Amazing..." The doctor says after looking at my eyes. "I've never seen someone get their sight back after a hit like that..."

"Am I all better?"

"Not completely, it seems like you're probably going to be a bit color-blind, but there are easy ways around it. I can get you connected to someone who prescribes colorblind glasses if you're okay with wearing glasses."

I turn to Kenny, who is sitting in the corner with his arms folded.

"Will you still love me if I wear glasses for the rest of my life?"

He tilts his head. "Dumb question."

I turn back to the doctor, "I should be fine."

"Then I will get that info. Wait here, I should be back in less than 30 minutes."

"Thank you."

He leaves. I go over to the corner where Kenny is and hug him.

"I'll be okay! I can see like normal with those glasses. Isn't that amazing!" I smile at him.

"Yep."

Is that all he has to say?

"Kenny... What do I need to do to convince you to get checked out?"

"You can't."

"Why not?"

"It's my choice."

I pout.

"If you insist... I won't make you do anything you don't want to. I love you, Kenny."

"Yeah."

He didn't say it back...

The doctor gives us the info and we drive back to the house.

Karen greets me with a smile, "I heard you can see! Congrats! I knew you would pull through despite the odds!"

I hug her, "Thank you for believing in me, Karen."

"Of course! You're basically my big sister, so I have to look out for you!"

I giggle, "Whatever you say."

Kenny starts walking back to his room.

"Kenny? Are you gonna get some rest?"

"Mhm."

"Okay." I walk over to him and place my hands on his swollen cheeks. I close my eyes and lean forward to kiss him.

He turns his head to the side to avoid my lips.

Why..?

"Kenny?"

"I'll get some rest."

He wiggles out of my grip and walks away. Why won't he look at me? What's wrong...

"Karen? Do you know why he's..."

She looks at the ground, "I do, but I shouldn't tell you. Kenny will tell you when he's ready... All I can tell you is that he has a lot to think about right now."

"Oh..."

I go to the bathroom to look in the mirror. I need to make sure my face isn't disfigured or something.

Nope. It looks normal. At least he isn't avoiding me because of my appearance. 

I'm scared... Why is he... Is he scared of me because of what my dad did..? Does he not like me anymore..?

I shake my head around.

"Don't think about it. Don't... think..."

I take a deep breath and splash some water on my face before returning to Karen.

"Marjorine? Did you want anything specific for dinner?"

"No, anything is fine. I am pretty hungry though. I slept for a long time."

"Yeah, you did. I was getting a bit worried about you."

"Sorry to worry you."

My mind is spinning, no matter how hard I try I can't stop thinking about how Kenny avoided my kiss...