Chapter 49

I get to school early to meet Kenny and Karen. Karen and I go to a bathroom so I can get changed and she can help me with my wig. I look in the mirror and smile. I'm back.

Kenny is waiting outside of the bathroom. When I come out he takes a long look at me.

"You're beautiful, Mar."

"Thank you..."

We hang out for a while before the bell rings for first class.

It's refreshing to be back at school. I missed being around people more than I thought I would.

-

The week goes by pretty fast, same routine everyday, getting changed in and out of my clothes before and after school is a bit tiring but it's definitely worth it. Everyday at home is the same. Very little conversation, lots of sleeping on my part.

On Friday at school Kenny greets me with a big smile.

"What are you so happy about?"

"I got a job! I start on Monday. You can move in this weekend if you want."

My face lights up. "Really?"

I jump onto him with a hug.

"Really."

"Congratulations!"

"Thank you. Do you need help moving out? I mean I can pick you up from your house, but I can help you carry your things out if you need."

"That would be lovely."

"Cool. Karen and I will be there around noon tomorrow, does that work?"

"Yeah. I should be ready to go by then. Dealing with my dad will be rough, but we should be good."

"What's he gonna do? Kick you out?"

I giggle. "I guess he can't exactly to that can he."

"Not any more."

We smile at each other. I'm super happy. I get to live with Kenny...

-

I pack the things I need most. My dad already took most of my things so I only need to pack a few boxes. Some things from my childhood, basic necessities, a few pairs of my most feminine clothing, and some random junk.

"Butters? Come down for breakfast." My mom calls to me. She opens my door and sees the boxes.

"Don't tell dad yet."

She nods, "Wait here for a moment."

She comes back with an envelope.

"What's this?"

"A debit card."

"I already have one of those."

"I know, sweetie, but this one is special, I've been saving it. A quarter of my paycheck goes to this card each month. Dad doesn't know about it. You'll get about 200 dollars a month on this and it has about 15,000 on it already."

"That's too much!"

"It isn't. I've been keeping this with me since you were a baby. It was for your college fund but I think you should have it now. I don't want my baby girl starving out there."

"Baby girl..?"

"That is what you prefer, right, Marjorine?"

I smile. "Thank you, mom. I love you."

"I love you too sweetheart, good luck out there. Come to me if you ever need anything, okay?"

"I will. Are you gonna be okay here?"

"Oh, I know how to deal with your father. I'll be just fine."

"Okay. Thank you so much, this will be a big help."

"Of course."