Book 2 Chapter 39

After discussing our topics and making a plan for how we want to divide the work, we decide to call it a day.

Everyone packs up and starts to leave. I stop Kenny before he goes. "Hey... are you doing anything right now? I could come over and cook for you and Karen... I also want to talk about you combining the groups."

Kenny shakes his head. "Sorry, Mar. I have plans with Bebe."

"Oh- right. I'm sorry."

"Don't be. I'm sure Karen would love to see you if you wanted to go. I just won't be there."

"Okay..."

"...did you really want to know why I did it? You look so sad..." he looks down at me with concern.

"Yeah..."

"I'll give a quick explanation then. I told the teacher that you and Bradley had a disagreement that caused your friendship and relationship to break. I said I was worried about your wellbeing and offered to combine groups. I checked with Bebe first of course. And don't worry, I didn't tell anyone about your gender identity."

"Kenny... you really did all that for me?" I look up into his eyes and hug my backpack.

"Of course I- yeah. I did so- I-" he looks away quickly. "I'll see you around." He says before speed walking out of the room.

Dork.

-

Over the weekend I hang out at Kenny and Karen's house again. I decided to make the two of them a nice dinner as a thank you for always being there for me.

A nice stir fry is what I'm making today. I got lots of vegetables and some chicken to put in it. I'll pair it with white rice.

As I prepare to start cooking, Karen goes to her room to work on homework. She has a book report due soon and she procrastinated way too long.

I wash all the vegetables and set them aside.

"Hey." Kenny leans against the doorframe to the kitchen. He's wearing a white tee shirt and some sweat pants. He always wears that when he wants to get comfortable after a stressful day.

I really like how he looks in this outfit.

"You need any help?"

"Oh, you don't have to!"

"I want to." He steps fully into the kitchen.

"Okay... uhm..." I look around for something he can do and not mess up like he did with pancakes. "Can you chop the vegetables?"

"I should be able to... it's simple enough."

"I wonder how I never knew you were so bad at cooking. I guess when I lived here I did all of that stuff."

"Yeah... Karen and Kevin would always rip on me for fucking it up. It was nice to have you here- I mean like, to have you to help out- not like- not that I'm saying it wasn't nice to-"

"Kenny." I turn and smile at him. "It's okay. I understand."

"Right..."