A Hug

Two weeks had gone by quickly, and it was time for the sports festival. After Reed had her blood taken and got ready, Kurogiri warped her to an alleyway by the arena and wished her luck.

In the waiting room, Reed was sitting next to Mina who was squirming around her in her seat.

"Hey Kaido, are you excited?" Mina asked.

"Mhm." She replied, not really paying attention to anything that was happening. She decided to just zone out until it was time to go.

Soon, Iida walked to the front of the room.

"Everyone, we are heading out now! Please get into a single file line!" They did as Iida said and headed out.

"IT'S TIME FOR THE UA SPORTS FESTIVAL! WHERE ALL THE DEPARTMENTS COMPETE FOR A CHANCE AT THE TOP! FIRST WE HAVE THE STUDENTS WHO SURVIVED A MASSIVE VILLAIN ATTACK, THE CLASS YOU'RE ALL HERE FOR, CLASS 1-A!"

The class started walking out, and the audience roared with cheers.

"THEY HAVEN'T DONE ANYTHING SPECIAL YET, BUT THEY ARE ALSO HEROES IN TRAINING, CLASS 1-B!"

Reed watched the other hero class walk out and caught a glimpse of the blond haired boy she had followed during the entrance exam. She waved to him, but he turned his head and ignored her. Reed frowned and put her hand down.

"NOW FOR THE FIRST YEAR REP, KATSUKI BAKUGO OF CLASS 1-A!"

"I would just like to say that I'm going to win." Everyone started to boo at Bakugo's statement.

"It's not my fault you guys are stepping stones to my victory!" Bakugo walked down from the podium with a determined expression. Everyone began booing and yelling at the class, which soon died down.

"Alright the first challenge is...an obstacle course!" Midnight announced. Everyone went to the tunnel entrance and stood there.

"Anything goes, just stay on the path! Ready...GO!"

Too many people, I'll just wait.

Once the tunnel was empty, Reed hesitantly ran through all the way to the rope obstacle.

I remember this! Sir made us cross a rope like this when we were younger! And there's a net at the bottom, so I won't get hurt!

Reed stepped onto the rope and ran across. She almost fell a couple times, but eventually she made it to the mines.

These explode?

Reed watched as some of the students were launched into the air. She shrugged before finding the ice path Todoroki left behind and ran across.

Sir is going to be super proud of me!

Reed had finally made it through the tunnel and accidentally ran into Mina.

"Ouchie." Reed said as she rubbed her head.

Mina turned around and smiled at the girl.

"You made it Kaido!" She exclaimed and hugged the girl causing Reed to wince. Mina was squeezing her bandaged arms causing pain to shoot up her body.

Reed whimpered, causing Mina to let go and look at her with concern.

"Kaido, are you alright? You're crying."

Reed nodded her head, but her tears didn't stop. Mina quickly hugged her again, but more gently. It reminded Reed of her friend Miko, and how she comforted her during those times.

It reminded her of the first time she was truly scared for her life.

~

"Miko, I don't wanna go!"

"Me neither!"

Nine kids were huddled together, all of them sporting the same look: a buzzcut and a hospital gown.

They were all crying as they looked at the contraption before them: A chair with a crane-like arm on the back which held a thick needle.

The two little girls hugged each other tightly for comfort as the other kids also hugged each other. All of them were huddled in a corner as far away from the chair as possible.

A few minutes later, All For One showed up with a smile.

"Okay everyone, you all are going to take turns sitting in the chair. Let's go from oldest to youngest. That means you're first Miko."

Miko cried and tried to shrink back, but All For One grabbed her arm and practically threw her in the chair.

The kids closed their eyes and covered their ears, but the piercing sound of Miko's screams could still be heard. All of them trembled knowing they would also have to go.

~

Reed quickly got out of the hug and looked at Mina with wide eyes. Mina could see that the girl was trembling, but she didn't understand why.

"Kaido-"

Reed cut off Mina's sentence by turning around and running somewhere else, leaving the pink girl to frown at her shrinking figure.

"Hey Mina, what's wrong?" Kirishima asked, coming behind her.

"I don't know..." she replied, still looking at the spot where the blonde girl had stood.