I'm Sorry

It was silent as we ate dinner together. Chopsticks just pushing my dinner around the bowel. His intense glare was set on me. Reminded me of the old mans glare.

Still, both sides simply refused to talk first.

"Alright!" I slammed my chopsticks down and glared right back at him.
"Listen Konohamaru! I-"

His glare softened just a tiny bit and I found my words lodged in my throat.
I sighed.

"You know I love you Konohamaru. Very much. And I would do anything for you but..." His eyes were expectant. Wanting an answer, explanation of some kind.

"I have to go on a long term mission." I said almost sadly.

The glare on his face dropped and a look of sad confusion took over.

"Long term? How long is that?" He asked. I sighed sadly, ready to break the news.

"6 years, in the Sand Village." Nothing but the sound of our breathing was heard. And even that was minimal.

"WHY DOES IT HAVE TO BE THERE!"
He shouted, jumping to his feet and slamming his fists on the table.

"It's part of an alliance between our villages." I remained calm, despite his outrageous behaviour.

"But why are YOU going!?"

"Because I was chosen."

"So you're just gonna leave me alone?"

His tone dropped and instead he sounded hurt. Rushing to his feet, he took off running.

"Konohamaru!" But he was gone.

I stayed seated with a tired sigh.

It was true, I was going to leave him here. But I wouldn't have him live in an unknown village and I wouldn't tear Asuma from his home and sweetheart.

I moved to clear the table and sighed again.
I didn't feel like doing this. I just felt like curling up in bed and sleeping forever.

I left the kitchen a mess and moved off to my room.

Flopping out on my bed like a starfish.

My thoughts ran away from me.
Memories of my time here.

Friends I've made, people I have come to truly care for. Those I'd give my life to protect.

I didn't want to leave them all behind.

'6 years.'

I thought to myself.

'Will it really take six years to mend the torn seams?'

I sighed tiredly, it wasn't even 9 and I was dead tired.

I tossed and turned for a good ten minutes before I sat up. Biting my nails and looking to the door.

'Why wasn't he home yet. It was almost 10 now. Damn it Konohamaru. Where were you?'

In frustration I stormed out of my room and swung the door open.

There were tiny snivels coming from the side of the house.
They sounded just like Konohamaru's.

I rounded the house to find said boy sitting with his knees to his chest and back against he wall. I saddened at the sight.

"Konohamaru?"

His head snapped up on shock before he turned away in anger.

I sat at his side, looking out to the gardens where me and the old man use to train.