Chapter 4: Shattered Reality, Shattered Dreams.

It took Kanrish surprisingly long to recover from the fight with the Dragonkin Soldier.

He had been bedridden for three straight days after completely draining all his mana with the summoned minigun.

Although all three days he got his level ups, he did discover on the second day in bed he had been able to use those magical guns because of the skill he had earned with the sixth level when he thought he did not get anything other than his stat increase.

That day he had gotten what had been labeled now as {Hidden Skill, Arcane Gunner}.

In the past days he got two mana improvements, his overall mana got doubled, and his mana consumption for everything was halved by default from all states.

Those were his last two days of level ups so, that had been insane in terms of his mana usage.

The third day he had been able to walk again. Something he had longed for the last three days.

A couple of quick knocks on the door, followed by Lyya's voice drew him from his pondering thoughts.

"Kanrish, the guards are here on behalf of the Duke for you..." She said and opened the door.

"Sir Kanrish, the Duke has requested for you to join him in his mansion... please come with us... Lady Lyya, if you wish you are welcome to join as well." The guard spoke, his back straight, head held high and his shoulders braced under his pauldrons.

Why is everyone so formal with her...? Kanrish wondered as he and Lyya were escorted by the guards in front of the store.

People seemed to recognize Lyya, calling her name and trying to break the guards' formation around them.

"What's going on here, why is everyone trying to get to you?" Kanrish whispered at Lyya who walked next to him.

"I'm kind of known around these parts for being family of the Duke, I put in a good word for you with him, so they wouldn't arrest you for your display of magic in the city." She replied and Kanrish stopped in his tracks, only to be pushed back into motion by a guard behind him.

"You really didn't know that? You really aren't from around here are you...?" Lyya asked and Kanrish shook his head.

"I'd think you'd have figured that much out by now..." He added and heard gasps of shock from beyond the guards' line.

A twenty minute, slow and agonizing walk later they finally passed through the gates of the Duke's mansion.

Guards kept the people at distance, while the group went through the gates and down the lane to the mansion's front door.

"Welcome back, Lady Swifteye, I take it this young man is the city's savior from a few days ago?" An old man spoke, his features betrayed half-elven blood but he looked mostly human if not for his slightly pointed ears.

"Yes, he also helped me with my missions for the guild, his name is Kanrish..." She turned to face him and asked, "Come to think of it, I never asked you what your last name was did I?"

She seemed genuinely interested and Kanrish replied, "I don't recall one on my Visa when they cast the spell either... but no you didn't." He answered and she shook her head, muttering.

"Better start thinking about one, because you're going to get one soon if I know my uncle."

"Your uncle, you mean the Duke and Mysahn are both your uncles?" Kanrish replied and she smiled.

"I'm half related to the Duke but everyone acts like I'm full family. I don't really know why." She said as they stepped into the Duke's main hall.